Bloat & Stomach Stapeling ~ Pre-onset

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Ginger Bears Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Bloat & Stomach Stapeling ~ Pre-onset

Post by Ginger Bears Mom »

As some of you may know we lost our beloved Ginger Bear last year to this devastating condition. A friend of mine mentioned she has heard of owners having the stomach stapled to the abdominal wall when spay/neuter occurs. This as a preventative measure for breeds that are prone to this condition.

I have searched the internet but have not yet found any articles on this possible prevention. Has anyone else heard of this, as I would like to do some research on it?

Thanks
Betty, Ziggy's Mom
Ginger Bears Mom ~ In Loving Memory, 8.5.93 - 11.16.07

"Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next."
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Bloat & Stomach Stapeling ~ Pre-onset

Post by jacqui »

I have a friend who is in her 80's and she has all her German Shepard and Collies stomachs stapled.I have not heard of anyone with a chow doing this as a preventive measure but I'm interested in what you find out as we all fear that will happen to our chows.
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

My vet offered to do it when I get Chloe spayed but I'm not going to. He just mentioned it as something that can be done.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

They don't really know what causes bloat but my theory is if you watch what they eat, how much they eat and how fast they eat you shouldn't have a problem thats why I don't like food enticements, thats forcing them to eat and suck down everything in the bowl.

I have known two people who's Chows have died of bloat, one Chow emptied out a pot of spaghetti and the other Chow got hold of a large salami. The Chow that eat the spaghetti was left with the Mom who thought a dog is a dog so a whole pot won't hurt it and thought oh how cute as it was cleaning out the pot, the Chow died of bloat 2 hours later. I'm sure what a chow eats Isn't the whole reason behind bloat but gorging food and food that expands in the stomach has to be a major part of it.

When Pekoe was going through radiation they rushed an Akita in that was suffering from bloat, the Akita had gotten in the trash while the people were at work, by the time they got home and got it to the hospitol he was to far gone the akita was still alive but pretty much brain dead so the people had to make the decision to let it go.

I think Onyx is a potential candidate for bloat, she won't eat dry kibble so I mix wet with it (food enticer) she eats it faster then I can set it down and cleans the bowl. Pekoe splits her bowl in thirds and only eats when she is hungrey some days she hardly eats any food at all.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Ginger Bears Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Thanks everyone, Jeff I tend to agree with the scenarios with the gulping of food and air aka bloat, with the animals wolfing down some very tasty treats, gorging themselves and not always able to burp at will.

With Ginger she was a free feeder, by that I mean she would have her bowl filled with dry kibble and feed when she was hungry, it was always there when she wanted it, we just washed the bowl and put new food in it daily. She ate very slowly, and did not have any of the food wolfing tendancies the symptons typically alude to. She was a very dainty eater, occassional treats of eggs, cottage cheese or yogurt, seperate from her main bowl so as not to encourage over eating and not to spoil the food.

That is why we were so blown away when we were given her diagnosis. The only thing she had in common with bloat was barrel chested animal and heavy panting.

That is also the reason I asked the question it is not a pleasant decision to make for 12 y/o otherwise healthy dog that should have easily lived until 14.

What makes it especially sad is that she had lost her hearing her last year, we used sign language with her but she could not hear us say good bye to her...she ony saw our mouths moving and felt us holding and petting her in her final moments.

I will do anything to keep that from happening, as long as it does not cause another adverse side affect someplace else.

Thanks....b
Betty, Ziggy's Mom

"Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next."
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Ginger Bears Mom wrote:I have searched the internet but have not yet found any articles on this possible prevention. Has anyone else heard of this, as I would like to do some research on it?
Search for 'prophylactic gastroplexy'
Ginger Bears Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

kiwani wrote:
Ginger Bears Mom wrote:I have searched the internet but have not yet found any articles on this possible prevention. Has anyone else heard of this, as I would like to do some research on it?
Search for 'prophylactic gastroplexy'
Kiwani you rock! Thanks everyone for their suggestions and advice, the above terminology is exactly what I needed to find out the info.
Betty, Ziggy's Mom