Heat stroke

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

jojasp5
Rank 0
Rank 0

Heat stroke

Post by jojasp5 »

Hello Everyone,
my Chow Chow recently suffered a heatstroke and had to be hospitalized for a few days. While in the hospital she continued to run a temperature because of subsequent infection caused by her sloughing the mucosal lining of her stomach secondary to the heatstroke. Anyway the Vet suggested that she be shaved in part because of her temp. and the regional temperatures in my area is starting to get hot. I've read the material on how the Chow's coat acts as an insulator from the heat and cold but, the Vet disagreed. He said that was Inaccurate information. He further explained using the analogy that if I were wearing a thick sweater on a hot day wouldn't I be very hot? I care for my Chow very much and I thought I was doing the right thing by her leaving her coat intact and, by the way it was a very beautiful one at that! Is the literature on the insulating properties of the Chow's coat right or, Is the Vet right. By the way my Chow is doing just fine now and, she's making a good recovery. Only she's without her crowning glory. Can someone clear this up for me and, Thanks.
jojasp5
alfaphlex
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Heat stroke

Post by alfaphlex »

Personally, based on what I've seen from both my chows, I disagree with your vet. So long as they have a cool place to relax, they're fine. When you take them out for a walk, keep it shorter and at times when the sun isn't blazing (early morning/later evening). If it were only chow owners saying this, I think it would be reasonable to second-guess, but non-chow owners say the same about other double-coated breeds:

http://www.localwin.com/julie/coated-breeds
http://countrygroomer.blogspot.com/2007 ... -clip.html
http://hubpages.com/hub/Keeping_Your_Hot_Dog_Cool

Double-coated breeds tend to have more vulnerable skin than short-coated because their coats are their protection. You take that away from them, what do they have left to protect them from the sun's rays? They don't have the same oily-skin short coated breeds have as protection.

Also, it doesn't make much sense (to me) to trim them because the outer-coat is what protects them from the sun, while the undercoat keeps the heat in. Shave them down, which do you think will grow out first? The undercoat. So you'll end up with chow who has no natural defense to keep the sun's rays out and all the undercoat that keeps the heat in. So they'll still be just as vulnerable to heat strokes with a much greater risk of getting sunburnt or even worse, skin cancer.

Keep them cooler by brushing out their undercoat, keeping them in cooler areas, more shade than sun, walks when the sun is not strong and concreate/asphalt is not hot, shorter distances, more water and they're fine. Sounds like more work than just shaving/trimming them, but I'd go with that than face the greater risks any day.

edit- oh yeah, about the sweater analogy. I would definitely endure the heat of a sweater if my skin was 5-10x more prone to being sun burnt or developing skin cancer and a thick sweater was the only way to protect myself from the sun. I'd just not go out when it's too hot, stay in air-conditioned/well ventilated areas, drink more water, etc (just like a chow, lol).
Tai's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tai's Mom »

I agree with Kuma and Novs'a Dad. There's a reason chows have 2 coats and the breed has been around alot longer then most breeds and weren't shaved. Your vet is wrong. When it's hot, chows need a cool place to be... usually air conditioning. Mine also has his own fan on the floor. They don't tolerate heat well. But, if you shave their coats off, then they will be very sensitive to the sun and sun burn. The sweater arguement works if you're human, not a chow. Like I said, just make sure your girl is where she will be kept cool, and the beautiful coat that she has won't be an issue.
Cy & Tai
All this and you wanted a Shih Tzu too?
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

What colour is your chow? I ask because my two have their undercoats completly combed out & my cream girl is fine, my black boy is suffering already. The heat absorbsion properties of black make it a hard one in the sun full stop. I'm thinking of getting a parasol to walk Alf with.....

If you don't have their undercoat COMPLETELY out then you are making life very hot & unpleasant for your chow. In that case, your vet MAYBE right (but you'd do better to get the undercoat out IMO)

Millie was shaved last year for an unrelated incident & was a very very happy chow girl with a hair cut. We have no plans to repeat but it's worth noting that she went from being lethargic & grumpy to puppy bouncyness again..... We only trimmed her down to about 1/2 to protect her skin. Her coat has grown back with no issues :D
Thank you Elodie!
jojasp5
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jojasp5 »

Thanks to everyone for all your replies. =D= I thought that shaving her wasn't the best option. #-o Hindsight is 20/20 though. :( I'll just have to be a better advocate for my Chow in the future. By the way she's a beautiful red Chow. :D Thanks again to everyone. :)
jojasp5
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I'm glad your girl is better!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
weenis
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by weenis »

I live in Phoenix AZ and this has been somewhat of a concern for me. We have a doggy door and has the freedom of being outside or inside, but i'm mostly concerned for when we go on walks. In the summer, it will get so hot that the temps won't dip under 100 degrees for 3 months, even at night, with highs that can be up to 115. At home i'm not so concerned since she has all her water inside, and the house is nice and cool. So if she's hot she just comes inside.

So, at dusk, when it's about 100-105 can I take her on a 20-30 minute walk safely?
rufnedge-2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by rufnedge-2 »

weenis, I would say if the sun isn't beating directly down than your're (safer) at dusk than when the sun is still up. I think I would do a shorter walk though. Like the previous person said, brush that undercoat COMPLETELY out so the skin can breathe and body temperature can regulate appropriately. Be careful...
rufnedge-2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by rufnedge-2 »

Would anyone here be willing to share their personal experience with heat illness and their pet with a reporter for my local newspaper??? I lost my pet and they were wanting anyone with a similar experience... please contact me
Cinders mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cinders mom »

I live in Florida, my chow-girl, Cinders has a bushy black coat. Heat stroke is a big problem for anyone who lives in a hot state. I only walk Cinders in the early mornings or when the sun is going down in the evening. She stays inside in the air the rest of the time. I do take her for short walks around the back yard, but then its back into the air.
Susan Gambini