Newbie to Chows - Need Experienced Advice for Problems

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Juniper

Newbie to Chows - Need Experienced Advice for Problems

Post by Juniper »

I rescued a female Red Chow last September 2004. History: Was loose in the neighborhood for 1 yr. & 3 mos.; children knew her & played w/her while a puppy, at former owners home; she had 9 pups and they dumped the mother; the kids said they were able to sell 2 of her pups and killed the rest. They decided to switch to another color. [Still working on getting info from kids as to who's breeding & abusing these Chows & have alerted the city shelter. They are still releasing chows - saw a creme male 2 mos. ago & kids said they're now breeding black chows.]

Sheena was extremely ill when I rescued her. It was 105 degree days here in Sacramento, CA during that week. It took me 10 days, after coercing her into my backyard, to get near enough to her to grab her and bring her to the vet. She had 103.7 F temp.; both eyes closed shut w/pus; matted, filthy fur; worms, ear mites and in her menses. She was dewormed & medicated & brought to health 1st, had entropion surgery; (after heat & recovery) waited 6 weeks for her spay surgery which she almost didn't survive. Vet didn't know what happened said clamp slipped from fatty tissue and she was bleeding out. It was a 1.5 hour spay! After recovery, about 2+ weeks later I gave her the required rabies shot so I could get her 3 yr. license and she had a slight reaction to the rabies vaccine (sneezing, very hot nose, overall malaise for about 5 days). I have never given her any other shots except rabies even when it was required for surgery. I signed release papers to take the risk of her getting kennel cough, etc.

She is Ok now except for a few things I've noticed:

She has what I think is a right eye ulcer - Dr. gave ointment but wanted me to stop it after a certain period of time and not continue. He stated it might eventually go away. Is this true? She appears to see fine out of both eyes.

I've noticed she cannot lick beyond her back lower legs - can't reach her privates. She also has a strange behavior of flicking her tongue and nodding her head up and down while sitting and moving in a circular pattern and vocalizing a moaning sound. I've done many fecals and she doesn't have worms. Any idea what this could be? Vet is perplexed. The children told me her former owners accidentally ran her over with their car when she was in the driveway and they needed to shave off all her hair on top of her back since it got all burnt and the tire might have run over her tail but they weren't sure. I was thinking maybe this could be the cause of her problems? I spent about $1,000 on Sheena and just can't quite afford getting an x-ray right now. Her tail doesn't have any bumps.

I noticed she sneezes in the mornings - just started this spring. Possibly an allergy?

I also noticed, just below her neck, she has some dry skin/dandruff starting. Is this a problem for Chows? I feed her canned food mostly called Neuro- 95% meat (by Old Mother Hubbard) Chicken/Rice; Chicken/Lamb/Rice; Beef/Rice (infrequently); Lamb/Rice; from Petco and Innova (Turkey/Chicken/Egg...) the 1st two are her favorites. I do feed as treats - Innova Evo (no wheat) dry food, Nutro Ultra Adult Biscuits and 100% Dried Chicken Breast w/no preservatives. Sometimes I give in to giving her slivers of organic cheddar cheese and unsalted butter. Does she need any vitamins?

I am unfamiliar with dogs in general. Had cats for 20 years, birds and tropical fish. The only other pet I have now, besides the Chow, is a boa constrictor, which Sheena has absolutely no interest in. Her primary interest is chasing squirrels and mourning doves.

Otherwise she's doing rather well. How much walking is too much? Sometimes we walk for 2 to 3 hours w/only two 15 minute breaks 1 to 2 days per week. She's so tired I need to lift her into the extended cab of my pickup. She snores the loudest on the nights after those walks! :lol:

I never thought that Sheena would restore to health. Initially I thought I would need to euthanize her and luckily I didn't need to. I find the Chow-Chow really fits my personality and behaviors and she is just a pleasure. I am socializing her more, taking dog lessons at Petsmart and am extremely happy.

Any advice would be helpful. This looks like a knowledgeable site and I would really appreciate the info and would like to give Sheena a very healthful and happy life. Thanks a bunch.
Zhuyos mom

Re: Newbie to Chows - Need Experienced Advice for Problems

Post by Zhuyos mom »

God Bless you! Budha Bless you! Nature Bless you! and Thank YOU.... for rescueing and giving Sheena a new life! I really just wanted to say that to you. But you have questions... not an expert, just a chow mom, so here goes....

I think your vet wants you to stop so he can see if the ointment does the trick. Medicine is medicine and she can develop an immunity to it. Do you know how old she is?

Re: strange behavior... does she do this all at once?

Sneezing... could be allergies... does she sneeze consecutive sneezes (like us humans) if so, then it's allergies. Pooh Bear did that when I first brough her home. I gave her benadryl and it helped. But when I put her on a Rx food, all sneezing stopped. Anyways, if the sneezing is not consecutive, then she's telling you something is up or she's sensing danger. It's how the breed fyi's and gives a heads-up to its owners that something may be going on. Could also be as simple as a neighborhood squirrel or cat is lurking around. The don't just up and bark like regular dogs. Goes back to their roots of guarding the palaces.

Moaning... Pooh Bear moans. But it's a cute moan and never a pained moan. More of a contentment moan. Our chows also "harumpf".

Going in circles... many of our chows go in circles before sitting or lying down. Sorta like fluffing up their dens. Chows do lots of funny things.

Flicking of tongue... perhaps thirsty or dehydrated? Again, did the vet give you a guesstimate of her age? Maybe she has a little heart problem. You're close to UC Davis. Call them and see if their fees are cheaper than your vets for x-rays.

Walks... how lucky she gets such long walks. Mine get tired quickly. The more pushed in the muzzle, the easier they will get winded. Ditto with the age factor. Perhaps try shorter walks and guage her limit. Plus, be aware of her hips. She might be prone of hip dysplasia or develop arthritis with her past (poor care and over breeding).

Food... you might want to add Nutro dry kibble to the canned to give her some crunch and keep her teeth in good order.

Dry Skin... Chows are notorious with skin problems. As you'll read on this site, most are directly related to food. However, I read somewhere that you can add some olive oil in their food to help dry skin. But I've never tried it and also not sure if olives (cured or uncured) and olive oil is in the do not feed list.

Again, KUDOS to you for all you've done for Sheena!
Shan&Kayla
Rank 0
Rank 0

yay!

Post by Shan&Kayla »

I am so happy for you and sheena! what a great rescuer you are! I can't add to much advice, since Lou gave you such good info :) I second all that was in that post :)
-Shann
Juniper

Re: Newbie to Chows - Need Experienced Advice for Problems

Post by Juniper »

Thank you both so much for replying to my request with such kindness and gratitude. It warmed my heart. :D

The vet estimated that Sheena was about 5 years old Last September. From the info I received from the neighborhood kids who played w/her as a puppy and from the time I first saw her - I would say she is about 3 1/4 years old right about now and weighs 48 lbs.

Re: strange behavior. Yep, she does this all at once! I've taken a paper towel and rubbed her tooshie with it - sometimes she stops and other times she doesn't. I have found she likes me doing that rubbing though - it feels wierd to me so I don't do it anymore. Sometimes she'll alternate moaning with the flicking of the tongue. She always has fresh bottled water to drink in her ceramic bowl so she doesn't appear thirsty.

I'll check on the price of x-rays for dogs @ UC Davis. I took my boa there and it cost $160. Maybe dogs are cheaper. I do want to find out about her back. Acupuncture worked great on my cats, so did chiropractic adjustments. And they only needed a few to restore to normal.

Her sneezes are first thing in the morning when I've hit the snooze alarm and don't get up to let her out. She'll sneeze about 5 times in a row and then stops. She never sneezes outside so I think you may be right and she's using it as an alert tactic - get UP, let me out or someone or something is around. Interesting behavior. I like that she's not much into barking except when it's absolutely necessary.

A Chow sure does a lot of funny things. I love when I come home she hops like a bunny rabbit to the doorway and barks a different type of bark - enormously excited and then runs several times around the dining room table until I open the sliding door and she runs out like I've opened up the gate to a greyhound race! I keep her seat belt harness, collar and leash near the floor and she goes over periodically - looks at me intently, turns away and then very loudly sniffs it. I tell her not now but I'll let you out in the backyard. She'll run in circles around that table. I really love her.

Vet said her heart was fine, blood tests were good, was only very dehydrated when I initially found her. She doesn't drink much water - maybe 1 to 2 cups per day but then I have been feeding her canned food so I don't imagine she needs much water. I keep her inside only - she doesn't like to be outside except for short periods or when I am walking with her in South Land Park.

I had her teeth cleaned and the doctor said her gums and very white teeth were in pretty good condition. Her front teeth appear to me to be a little shaved, not quite rounded. Maybe she was chewing bones for the 1 1/4 years she was a stray and did some damage.

For about 2 weeks I initially gave her organic flax seed oil to improve her coat, which it did. I probably need to return to giving her a dose each day. Since dry skin and dandruff are usually (in humans anyway) a sign of a vitamin A deficiency (or too much A) and a lack of Vit. E. And if you do too much oil it increases your need for A. And when you increase A you need to increase E respectively....I'll do a bit more research and experiment temporarily w/Sheena and see if I can get rid of some of her dry skin.

Had another question. Sheena has absolutely no interest in toys. She does occasionally like to tear up a towel that I use to clean her paws. Do your chows like toys? Sometimes I can do a little tug w/her but she loses interest quickly. She's not much into playing. Any ideas? Or should I just leave well enough alone and let her slowly rediscover herself?

Well, I need to sign off. Thanks again for responding to my questions. You've really helped me understand alot. And Sheena thanks you also! :D
Shan&Kayla
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Shan&Kayla »

Sounds like you are learning the joys of having a chow :) they are funny critters. Kayla does the sneezing for attention too, often right in my face uhg. well it does get my attention lol. Kayla is also kinda uninterested in toys. I have tried all kinds, and she only gets interested for a few minutes, and then ignores them. She will occasionally play with them for a minute, but isnt really "into" them. Unless It's a pig ear..ohhhhhhh she loves those! She ignores greenies too. She has more fun chasing the squirrels, which are having fun running the fence and teasing her hehe. I would definately get that "strange behavior" looked into. Sheena is one lucky Chow to have found your home!
SWANCIN
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by SWANCIN »

Juniper and Sheena,
Welcome! Your story of the rescue and care of Sheena is so touching and inspirational! Thank you for the good you do! I firmly believe that pets (sometimes ultimately as in rescue) come to those who can do the best for them.
Dog Bless you :D - Purple Kisses!
Cindy & Kodi

I Wanna Go Chase Something!!!!!
Compliments of SWEETPEA - Banner Artiste Extraordinaire

Dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=36558
Juniper

Post by Juniper »

Hi Cindy & Kodi /Shan & Kayla:

Thanks for the welcome and the advice. Both your chows are so cute. I think it was meant to be for me and Sheena.

She's sneezed a few times in my face also while I was resting on the floor. lol I'm sure there will be more to discover about her as time goes on.

Another question: She's home alone all day for up to 12 hours, will this desocialize her? She did grow up with lots of children playing with her (so I'm told) and she does appear to gravitate towards the voices of children when we go to the park. I let people and children pet her and have been acclimating her to a no leash park, which she is getting a little bit less stressed about each time she visits there. (Not as much foaming out of the mouth with dribble.) However, she always looks behind to make sure I'm following her around the no-leash park! I only visit there for about 15 minutes max. since her real pleasure is to go to the park w/the 2 ponds, look at ducks, chase squirrels and just plain hang out.

Is there any way to acclimate her to the vacuum cleaner? She's extremely frightened of it and I usually need to put her outside in the yard when I use it.

I'm planning the end of July to take Sheena on a weekend camping trip to Lake Tahoe but I'm uncertain if this is a good idea or not. Any suggestions, ideas? I want to make sure she doesn't get sick in the process. I would probably have her sleep in my tent w/me.

Thanks again for all your responses. Hope all is well with your chows. See ya.
Purple Kisses! Definitely a great closing salutation :D
kingalls

Sheena

Post by kingalls »

Hi,
Please be careful with the temperatures when walking Sheena. They have low tolerance for heat. We do not walk our two if the temps are higher that about 72 degrees....
We only walk ours for about a 20-30 minute walk/run if the temps are okay. They are prone toward heat exhaustion, etc. so with you being in Sacto, you need to be aware of these concerns. If Sheena is okay with water you might try a little kiddie pool that costs about $8 or less.
Kudos to you for rescuing!
Karen
Juniper

Sheena

Post by Juniper »

Hi Karen!

I've wondered about the long walks as well and overheating. I give her a fresh bowl of cool water about every 1/2 hour when we've walked a long time. Right now it's been about 70 to 72 degrees in Sacto so I haven't worried about it.

No more walks above that temperature? I didn't realize the temp. needed to be that low. She'll be one pretty depressed pooch. I can understand no walks in the summer when Sacto can be 85 degrees, even in the morning, let alone 90's to 100's in the afternoon!

What temperature, at rest, in the house can a Chow handle without heat exhaustion? I'm used to not running my air conditioning until it hits 80 degrees. Will I need to crank it up for Sheena & cool it lower than that? Don't know if she'd like the pool idea but it will be worth a try.

Any ideas on the camping trip to Lake Tahoe?

Thanks a bunch for your concern - it's much appreciated. :D
kingalls

Juniper/Sheena - heat

Post by kingalls »

We notice a difference in their enthusiasm when the temps are higher than 70 degrees. They are slower and panting alot. Normally, they like to run but when it gets warm, we slow them to a walk and notice they don't fuss when we keep the walks short. Because Shiloh is more of a puppy than Mr. Nahkohe and wants to do the rumble/tumble thing we have them sleep separately. Even during the winter, we keep the sliding glass door open for Shiloh...it does get cold (30s) but Shiloh is happy. Mr. N sleeps in the garage and is happy to have the cold cement. My brother in law lives in Sacto..I know how hot it can get.....Just keep an eye out for Sheena and where to set the air conditioner...lots of panting means it needs to be cooler. Remember that these Chows love the Canadian type of frozen tundra weather (sorry Roxana...).
Karen
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

We use to tale Pekoe to Lake Tahoe almost every weekend when we lived in SF ( Boy do I miss the bay area) as was said be real careful with the heat we walked Pekoe alot during the summer days but would stop alot and give her water or if there was water around we kept her wet with splashing water on her, she didn't like it but it kept her cool.

Another thing to watch for is ticks, not so much in Tahoe but if you stop in plascerville(sp) that place is tick infested, That's where Pekoe got her first ticks, No need to panic like my wife did and wake the vet up at 2am in the mourning.

If you get a chance take your Chow to Tahoe during the winter when it snows he will love it.

One more thing about the flicking of the tongue, Pekoe loves her back scratched so when we scratch her back just under her tail her tongue will flick in and out.
And like the rest of the Chows Pekoe will go in circles a few time before she lays down but I have noticed if she's mad about something she will just plop down with out the circles. Also when they have to go to the bathroom (spend a Penny) they will go in circles or go back and forth for a few minutes to get that perfect spot.
Roxana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Roxana »

Hi,
First of all, bless you for rescuing Sheena and welcome to the wonderful world of Chows.

As far as camping goes; we take my girl Dakota, who is 12, camping every summer in the mountains and she absolutely loves it! Just a few things to be aware of; we always make sure we bring along a water bottle and bowl in the backpack on our hikes, we take frequent rests, and we always let her cool down in the river or lake along the way as often as she likes. Mind you, Dakota is a lot older than Sheena and certainly can't go like she used to. Also make sure Sheen wears her collar with her i.d. tags on (in case, god forbid, she gets lost) we never take Dakota off her leash while hiking. Its just too risky in my opinion. Well, now that she's blind we cant let her off her leash, but even when she could see, we kept it on. All it takes is for them to catch a scent of an animal or something in the bush...and they're gone. Also, make sure that Sheena sleeps with you in your tent at night. Every year we see people camping who tie their dogs up to the picnic table or whatever at night and leave them out all night :roll: The park rangers will even tell you, this is NOT a good thing to do as it attracts animals to the campsite. Other than that; we always bring along a tarp to lay on the ground outside of the trailer so that she can lay down and not get all dirty. Bring lots of towels and rags to clean her up with as well as her brush and comb to brush out any sticks or brambles she may pick up in her fur.

I'm sure Sheena will love the camping trip. The fresh air, different sights and smells, you guys will have a blast.

As far as walking Chows in warmer weather; Yes, even up here in the frozen Tundra (thanks Karen :lol: ) I take precautions when walking Dakota. In the summer we go for our walks in the morning or evening and never in the heat of the day. Remember, what may seem like a comfortable temperature to you, can seem sweltering to a Chow, especially on longer walks. I'm sure you will soon learn all the little ins & outs of owning a Chow and you will wonder what you ever did without one!!

Take Care,
Roxana & Dakota
Juniper

Post by Juniper »

Thanks for all the camping info Roxana. I'll make sure i will have all those necessities and make a list. Ya know my Sheena almost exactly looks like your Chow Dakota - if that's a picture of her. Except Sheena has an extra little space between 2 of the baby front teeth. I am definitely wondering how I've ever done w/o a Chow, even now. She brings me such joy and is so undemanding. I'll definitely place her in the tent to sleep w/me - I couldn't bear not hearing her snore throughout the night! I'll make sure I've put my earplugs on the list. Tee, hee. :lol:

And thanks for the info on ticks, etc. Especially, for reminding me to not run frantically to the vet, Jeff. I'll definitely take Sheena to experience the snow this next winter. Can't wait to see her reaction to her first time in the snow! Sheena also flicks her tongue when I scratch her back.

Thanks for the info on heat Karen. I will watch Sheena's panting & gauge her exposure to heat very carefully. I have central heating & air and I need to place some Gila film on the sliding doors in the dining room where Sheena likes to watch birds, squirrels, etc. Unfortunately, my windows face West and it gets pretty hot inside - As high as 90 degrees w/o central air on. I've also left the sliding door a little open for her to get some extra cool air at night and sometimes run the overhead fan to disperse the cool air.

Thanks so much, all of you, for all your advice and assistance. Much health to all your chows and any other animals you may be sharing your household with. :D