Urinating Unknowingly

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

bruinsmom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Urinating Unknowingly

Post by bruinsmom »

Hi,
I'm a recent member of this forum. I have an 11 1/2 year old blue female chow chow. To date, Bruin is, and always has been a healthy girl.

About 2 months ago, I noticed a small puddle of water by her bum area. While cleaning it up, it didn't smell or look like urine.
It wasn't a lot but enough to notice. Her rear area was wet too.

Yesterday, I was fortunatel to witness this again. I saw it come out of her while she was laying down. She got up quickly when the urine touched her rear paw. She looked at it, sniffed it and proceeded to want to go out. I let her out and she played for a little while and 5 minutes later, she pee'd.
It was like she didn't know she was doing this.

Again, it was the second time it happened. If it happened while I wasn't home, I would have known, I have hardwood floors throughout the house.
There isn't a strong smell or blood in the urine. She doesn't wimper to go out after it happens. As a matter of fact, I think she has an iron bladder, I let her out frequently but she pee's when she has too. She doesn't drink a lot of water too.

I'll call the vet but was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.
I'm just hoping it's a sign of old age but want to nip it before it becomes a huge problem.

I appreciate any comments or suggestions anyone might have.

Thank you,
Bruinsmom.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

It could be due to a variety of causes, hormonal, neurologic, muscle tone weakness, etc. Is there any particular reason for her being on a high carb diet?
bruinsmom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by bruinsmom »

Thanks for your reply. I did read up on this and a lot of this is simply because she's old. It's very common in older dogs. I'm still going to call the vet when they open this week.

As for wondering why she's on a high carb diet? I don't understand. She eats Science Diet Senior dry dog food. She has eaten dry dog food all of her life.

Thanks again,
Bruinsmom
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "...this is simply because she's old."
---

Not necessarily.

Re: "As for wondering why she's on a high carb diet? I don't understand.

---

Because there is a link between high carb diets and incontinence. Science Diet Senior is mostly grain by-products.

bruinsmom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by bruinsmom »

I do realize that just because she's old isn't a satisfactory answer. I do intend to contact my vet. I meant to say (write), from what I've read on the subject, part of the problem IS her being old.

As for the Science Diet, thanks, I didn't know that. She's had SD since she was a puppy.

I appreciate your reply to this matter.

Bruinsmom
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

Hi Bruin's mom--I also have a blue girl and hope you post some pictures!

I think it's smart to have the vet check her out. It could be a urinary tract infection. Willow had a few of them and didn't show any pain or anything. Or, she could just be incontinent from age and if that's it there are medications for it. A dog I pet sit for is on something called Proin. (I think that's how it's spelled anyway)

Let us know what the vet says.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "As for the Science Diet, thanks, I didn't know that."

---

Science Diet is in the range of quality similar to Purina. Both rely heavily on grains and on inferior by-products. Grains are an extra burden on an older dog's digestive system and have been linked with inflammation in the bladder as well.

In case you are interested, there are holistic incontinence therapies for strengthening the bladder and spincter muscles. Meds are just usually prescribed, but be aware of the toxic adverse affects linked with those. Best wishes.
bruinsmom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by bruinsmom »

To Willow Chow:

I've noticed your blue girl too. She's beautiful!!!! In fact, all of the chows on this site and (not on this site) are beautiful. I use to have a fawn chow who passed away from Cushings in 2000.
I will try to get some pictures posted soon.

Her appointment isn't until next week and she hasn't has any other episodes. As previously stated, this was the second time. I would rather just put a pair of Depends on her and call it a day. Only kidding.

To Kiwani,
You chow is beautiful too. I would love a house full of chows. And, if my husband becomes allergic to them. I will miss him terribly! LOL!

I appreciate your knowledge (and many others on this site) about Science Diet. I'm amazed that there are different stages of this dog food. It came as a recomendation from my first chows breeder. I stuck with it.
I've thought of the holistic approach but am weary of the side affect both the holistic and perscribed does to animals.

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I'll let you know how she makes out.

Bruinsmom