Glucosamine ?????

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Glucosamine ?????

Post by Jeff&Peks »

How mush Glucosamine is to much, I quit feeding Pekoe senior food it was Turning her into a senior(my opinion) and Kawani didn't seem to found of it so I stopped and went back to normal food so now the only Glucoaamine she gets is from Happy hips Chicken Strips I was thinking about buying a bottle of powdered Glocosamine from Healthy pet and mixing it with her food but how much is to much or is there to much can they overdose from it.

Try spelling Glucosamine 5 times, thats hard work

For the older folks I was told Glucosamine is supposed to be good for aging skin also. I went to the dermatologist the other day amazing what you woman have to go through with the lotions, potions and smells you have to buy, no wonder the shower is a death trap.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Sydney
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Glucosamine ?????

Post by Sydney »

Hi Jeff:

I give both of mine Glucosamine and the dosage is as follows:

My female gets 1,000 mgs. She weights 49 lbs.
My male gets 1,500 mgs. He weights 65 lbs. That’s also the dosage my husband takes.

I buy mine from Drs. Foster & Smith because they didn’t like my husband's liquid. What I get is the Joint Care 2 which also has the correct amounts of Chondroltin, Vitamin C and MSM per weight. They’re liver flavored chewable tablets.

I would imagine Pekoe should take about 1,500 mgs. Mine are doing well on it.

Sydney
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Sydney wrote:Hi Jeff:

My male gets 1,500 mgs. He weights 65 lbs. That’s also the dosage my husband takes.

I buy mine from Drs. Foster & Smith because they didn’t like my husband's liquid. What I get is the Joint Care 2 which also has the correct amounts of Chondroltin, Vitamin C and MSM per weight. They’re liver flavored chewable tablets.

Sydney
Thanks, thats sounds more like what I'm looking for with the Chondroltin and Vitamin C. I read and Healthy pet tells me People give it to their dogs as young as 2 years old just to keep up the joints and muscles.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Alf gets liquid glucosomine. Normally pharmacutical grade so this http://www.synflexamerica.com/pet/index.php or Liquid Health Level 5000 Mega Joint Supplment. Alf gets the loading dose consistantly & Millie gets a teaspoon a day. Millie doesn't have any issues but she gets this to prevent (hopefully)

The synaflex is all sourced in the US, I like that about it :D
Thank you Elodie!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Sydney wrote:Hi Jeff:

Sydney
According to the charts I guess I should be getting Joint care 1 or Joint care 1+ Pekoe doesn't have arthritis that I know of but she is hesitating at curbs and getting into the car and not as quick on her take offs with Cat and critter pursuits as she use to be.

ImageImage
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Jeff, Go to Healthy Pet and see if they carry "Sea Jerky". I use to have to order it special for Zhuyo, but I see a lot of stores are carrying it now. It helped Zhuyo's Bursitis. They have it in 3 flavors "Chicken and Rice", plain "Sea jerky" and "Beef". I always ordered the Beef because it had the MSM in it. If Healthy Pet doesn't carry it, have them special order it for you. A package of 30 use to cost me $22.00. I gave one and a half jerky to Zhu and the other half to Miss PB.

Here's the active ingredients (and when I use to buy it was sourced and made in the USA. Not sure about it now):

SEA JERKY BEEF
NUTRI-SEA-SEA JERKY BEEF FLAVOR 30 STICKS-Sea Jerky® for dogs contains sea cucumber (Sea Chondroitin®), a patented sea cucumber product. Each Sea Jerky stick provides 1200 mg of patented sea cucumber (Sea Chondroitin®) plus 280 mg of Glucosamine HCL (from shellfish), 75 mg of MSM and 140 mg of Flax Seed (a source of Omega-3 fatty acids). Along with Kelp, natural Vitamin E and Beef, Sea Jerky® is an easy-feeding treat dogs love.
Sydney
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sydney »

Jeff, you know Pekoe best and are the best judge of what will be best for her needs. I did a lot of research before finally feeling comfortable with a product and have stuck with this one. It's manufactured in the USA and that's always an important consideration for me. I know it's never 100% guarantee but I won't buy medications for myself that are made in China either. The pharmacy thinks I'm nuts when I ask them where my generic meds are coming from.

Whatever product you decide on, I hope it helps Pekoe get some of the spunk back. It just makes me feel better to know that I'm doing something to insure that they have a good quality of life. They've seen their hard times as they are both adopted rescues and I made a committment when I got them that I would always do my very best for them and they'll never see hard times again. I'm such a believer of these supplements because of the difference I've seen them make in my husbands life over the years.

Sydney
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Sydney wrote:Jeff, you know Pekoe best and are the best judge of what will be best for her needs. I did a lot of research before finally feeling comfortable with a product and have stuck with this one. It's manufactured in the USA and that's always an important consideration for me. I know it's never 100% guarantee but I won't buy medications for myself that are made in China either. The pharmacy thinks I'm nuts when I ask them where my generic meds are coming from.

Whatever product you decide on, I hope it helps Pekoe get some of the spunk back. It just makes me feel better to know that I'm doing something to insure that they have a good quality of life. They've seen their hard times as they are both adopted rescues and I made a committment when I got them that I would always do my very best for them and they'll never see hard times again. I'm such a believer of these supplements because of the difference I've seen them make in my husbands life over the years.

Sydney

I think its the same thing if I'm looking at the right product on Dr foster and smiths website, who ever they are. , you said you get Joint care 2 but the site says joint care 2 and 3 are for dogs with arthritis, Joint care 1 and Joint care 1+ are for dogs that are slowing down or mild arthritis. I was going to order 1+ because I think it said 1 doesn't have the other stuff in it. Pekoe hasn't been diagnosed with any arthritic or joint problems I'm just supplementing so I think #2 and #3 might be to much meds.... I think I will get the sea jerky Lou suggested also which goes back to my original question If I get the Joint care 1+ and the sea Jerky is that to much Glucosamine.

ImageImage
Sydney
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sydney »

Jeff:

You don't want to give Pekoe more then she needs so if you want to give both, assuming she needs 1,500 mgs of Glucosamine a day (Fosters weight guidelines on the bottle for Glucosamine are correct, I've researched that) feed 2 pills, plus 1 or 2 Sea Jerkies ( they have 250 mgs per jerky?). Yes, I think there is such a thing as too much Glucosamine. You need to find what Pekoe's requirements are (it goes by weight) and then go from there. But, yes, I believe you can give too much. In the case of Glucosamine, more is not better but the correct amount is, if you want it to help. Watch her stomach. Sometimes it can upset the stomach. I started slow.

Glucosamine.........Just did that so I could spell it 5 times:)

Sydney
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I ordered joint Care 1+ so it should be in the mail I went looking for the sea Jerky yesturday the Healthy pet across the street dosn't have them they said the other Healthy pet store a few mile away carries them. thats what i get for living in Horse land, Horses come first.

ImageImage
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I got the bottle of Joint care 1+ today 3 tablets per the weight chart but Pekoe isn't buying the treat stuff, One sniff and its yeah right thats no treat i'm out of here.

ImageImage
schnauziechow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by schnauziechow »

I give this: http://www.nuprosupplements.com/

Shd be alright for Chows right?
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

schnauziechow wrote:I give this: http://www.nuprosupplements.com/

It sounds ok but I don't know about any of this stuff whats good or bad I just went by someones suggestion. A little glucosamine and joint care can't hurt them so i guess its ok.

ImageImage
schnauziechow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by schnauziechow »

Yah. Its more for the joints and coat. On alternate days I also give out the All Systems Vital Energy
Jeff&Peks wrote:
schnauziechow wrote:I give this: http://www.nuprosupplements.com/

It sounds ok but I don't know about any of this stuff whats good or bad I just went by someones suggestion. A little glucosamine and joint care can't hurt them so i guess its ok.
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

I use cream cheese to give tablets. Offer a little, then one with the tablet in , then another dollop quickly after :D
Thank you Elodie!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Layla wrote: , then another dollop quickly after :D
A what? Dollop? is that some sort of English tea or pastry?

ImageImage
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Jeff&Peks wrote:
Layla wrote: , then another dollop quickly after :D
A what? Dollop? is that some sort of English tea or pastry?
:lol: Sorry. A dollop is like an amount of something. Like a tablespoon or teaspoon amount I guess.
Thank you Elodie!