Heat or Urinary Tract Infection?

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

Thank you Kiwani, I might just call the vet today to ask of the possibility and whether or not to bring her up earlier. She is eating better since we started her on her second batch of medicine. She is not in discomfort, looking at her. Last night, we managed to go to the puppy class w/ my hubbie's briefs on her back-to-front w/ her tail out of the fly. :oops: It looked closer to thongs so next week I will have to try his soft jersey jogger on her :roll:
I'm off to the pet supply store to get her Innova Puppy Food. She doesn't dislike that and maybe a change from Wellness Puppy's will do her better as Willowchow mentioned....
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

Glad to hear it's going a little better. Innova is a great food, maybe Kiwani would know, I'm not sure you need the "puppy" formula.
Jazzy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jazzy »

Hey everyone, I know I've been gone for a while (moving). Anyway, your problem sounded a lot like Avis' at the same age. In October she was about 5 1/2 months and she had the same symptoms. Potty trained since August 17th, then all of a sudden she can't hold it anywhere. Foyer, stairs, sidewalks. It was pretty worrisome for me. The doctor gave antibiotics and I had a "great" time stuffing them down her throat, but the symptoms disappeared after a day and she seemed back to normal in about 3 days. I also thought it was heat, but she will be a year on the 27th(!!) and I still haven't seen anything else.

I'm going to make an appointment for a checkup and spaying.

Hope all is well with you.
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

We took her in for another urine test today while she is still on this new anti-biotics(amoxicillin). We'll know the result by Monday. Will post again then.

As for the fishy smell, the doctor assured me that is "normal" and he reckons viginal infection is unlikely. We haven't bathed her in 2wks due to travel up to Tahoe(too busy WEs), but have been wiping her w/ grooming wipes when possible, but maybe that wasn't enough. Well, for my sense of smell, anyway. Tonight is the bath night! as tomorrow we hope to be hitting the slopes again(day trip, ie Sugar Bowl).

I have also given her her second batch of Revolution I had from my previous vet. Fleas seems to be more active now & I got bitten by mosquitoes while on walk to Lucus Studio, our regular course of walk, a few wks ago. As for heartworms, the doctor says the temperature is probaly not hot enough to cause concern, tho. I am in two minds about this medication, great that it covers a whole range of stuff, but it goes into the bloodstream. Kinda scary... It works on ticks as well, so a good guard against them on wee stops on the way up to Tahoe, I suppose.... Anyone w/ strong ideas on this medication? Please start a new thead, if so...Thanks.

Love & Purple Kisses, LEO(Leonora) & mum
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

They suggested the injection for Pekoe once also she was getting ticks on the way to Tahoe (don't stop at McDonalds in Placerville) but I passed and just stuck with the drops and collars. Theres probably nothing wrong with the injections but I don't like giving her injections plus I think the flea/tick injections are farley new ( may not be that new anymore) if so they can try it out on the others not Pekoe.
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

Just wanted to edit second paragraph..."normal" in smell & looks for a dog in heat...

Jeff, thanks we'll avoid Placerville from now on. I think we took a stroll there last month... We stopped at Mickie-D last WE on the way up, but that was in Dixon.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Both my girls are on revolution. Applied monthly between the shoulder blades, right? They do fine on it. No reactions here.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "As for the fishy smell, the doctor assured me that is "normal" and he reckons viginal infection is unlikely."

---

Broad spectrum antibiotics alter vaginal flora and pH too, disrupting the natural balance, and fishy odor can also be a symptom. So the use of antibiotics through this estrus cycle makes it a bit different too.
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

Urine cultue was negative! LEO seems to be more of herself lately. She is eating more, playing more, but scratching more.... Could it be that she is feeling better as 1) The infection is done & over with, 2) Effect from heat cycle easing, 3) She likes Innova better than Wellness...? As for the scratching 1) She is allergic to something in Innova, 2) She is allergic to something in Revolution, 3) She picked up some fleas or ticks lately(maybe from the Tahoe trip & stops at around Sacramento), 4) Hormonal changes due to heat had good effects on her skin & that is going along w/ the heat cycle....??? She is still on anti-biotics, so that is a constant. I shall keep an eye on this ichy thing...
She is still cleaning her private bits frequently, but no more blood.
I have also noticed that she started kicking turf after weeing & poohing, probably to spread the smell of her, in the last couple of weeks. What a grown up habit to have for a 5 1/2m/s old... Weeing & starting to walk whilst weeing seems a new habit. Horrible for the inner thighs... :? :? But I suppose that is another way of spreading her smell..... :roll:
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Lily used to do the 'walking wees'. She had a little bladder, I think, and didn't quite have her style down. She has since become an old pro, and has stopped walking while 'spending a penny'. Give it a little time, this will evolve to something better.