Help with rescue Simba

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Help with rescue Simba

Post by Laura »

Hi all...I am posting this for Sheila who adopted Simba that I found here in a local shelter.
He came to me absolutely covered in ticks, very thin, and his coat is in fairly rough shape. He has also had some diarhea and a cough. He was neutered, heartworm and other worm negative, and received shots a couple days before I sprung him. He does have entropian and he was vetted again today for some tests...waiting on results. He was picked up as a stray so we know nothing of his background but my vet estimated his age at 6-7 yrs. He was at the shelter for just a few weeks.
Sheila would like ideas on foods, supplements, vitamins, etc. to help improve his overall health, settle his tummy, put some weight on him and improve his coat. I know you guys are a fountain of knowledge so any suggestions would be great. He seems to turn his nose up at dry kibble so I was spoiling him with can food and Sheila is with people food right now. He was also prescribed prednisone and amoxicillan for his cough so he has been on those for a week.
Thanks! :D
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Auddymay

Re: Help with rescue Simba

Post by Auddymay »

Probiotics for sure, while he is on antibiotics. Fish oil for the omegas, maybe sardines as a treat to help here. The food debate is always on-going, but every rescue I see on animal cops gets puppyfood to help put weight on fast, so whatever Sheila goes with, she might do well to use the puppy variety for the extra calories. Jerryo reports adding Parmesean cheese to dry foods will whet the appitite...cheese of any variety would work, but mine will mine through the kibble to get the cheese. The finer Parmesean cheese is hard to do that with.
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

In addition to those, B complex is really good for stimulating a picky appetite. A few spoonfuls of Evo canned venison or rabbit mixed in with the dry is good, too. So rare to open a can of dog food that actually smells good....

Poor kid, he's been bounced around a lot eating different foods, different meds, etc. Definitely probiotics to even out his gut flora. Go with human grade supplements, they are more potent. Kiwani will probably be along shortly, this is her field of expertise. :D
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Taking it all in..thanks ladies!
Now let me admit my ignorance...probiotics..I see everyone talking about those all the time and I don't know what they are. If I go to the drugstore will there be a bottle on the vitamin (?) aisle that just says probiotics? And if so how much of it should he get and how often? He weighs in at around 45lbs right now...I forgot to post that earlier.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

Go to Wild Oats or Whole Foods and look for the refrigerated kind. There's a thread on this, I'll look for it and bump it for you.
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Laura wrote:He does have entropian and he was vetted again today for some tests...waiting on results.
There are various causes of entropion, and before rushing in to remodel the lids, I'd wait for his face musculature and overall good health to return with optimal nutrition - otherwise it may have to be remodeled again.

I wouldn't rush putting weight on him with puppy formulas either. Adding weight too quickly can put a strain on the joints. Slowly build muscle with a premium formula like Innova adult (green bag) with 24% protein and 14% fat. You can add Solid Gold's canned Green Tripe to stimulate appetite and help build his immune system. MSM sulfur and/or sulfur rich proteins like eggs and fish are also important for overall health/healing/immune function.
There are immune system supplements based on sulfur/B-complex/zinc. Those would be the main ones besides the probiotics.

I wouldn't recommend adding grated cheeses such as parmesan/romano, because those are high in salt, and can cause other problems. Always choose salt-free when supplementing with canned salmon, sardines, etc.
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

Laura,
my holistic Dr.recommends Culturelle probiotics.these are found at CVS,Walmart,etc.just make sure you look at the expiration date.I believe he would take one daily.Chyna is 65lbs and she takes 1,Kai is 40lbs he takes 1.I am no expert but this has helped Chyna tremendously.
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
Karla
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Karla »

Any type of human acidophilus-bifidus (that what the vitamin bottle would read) supplements will do the trick for the belly regulation, I give them to both Mika, chowchow, and Bala, russian blue cat, and they both respond quite well. You could also just try full-fat yogurt mixed with any wet food. Also, for his skin/coat, fish is great, a good commercial food is "California Naturals" salmon and sweet potato flavour, and if you want to add a topical "treatment" you could get some Neem Oil-with no additives, its a natural plant oil akin to Jojoba oil, and that will essentially act as a "hot oil" treatment, just don't heat it up, coat your hand with it and pet him. I took on Mika from a less than ideal home and she's made huge improvements, I hope everything work out for him.
Karla and Mika
ImageImage
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Nothing much to add as you have gotten a ton a great info. I just wanted to say that last time they put Butters on predisone it caused huge problems. He had blood in his poo. We immediately took him off and started his probiotics. Just a heads up that sometimes the meds can cause some issues in themselves.
SweetPea Rocks!!