Swollen Mammory Gland - Tumor?

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

CocoLeBear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Swollen Mammory Gland - Tumor?

Post by CocoLeBear »

Hello All - My spayed female rescued (and spayed) from the SPCA in January 2012 has a swollen mammory gland. The vet thinks she is about 6-8, so obviously she was spayed AFTER her first heat. I discovered her one mammory gland on one side (by her back leg) was swollen - soft not hard - a few weeks ago. Hasn't gone away so we went to the vet today. Vet said it felt fatty and aspirated it - didn't feel like normal cancer (whatever it is called) but not standard. Has anyone had this happen before? Just curious your experience. I am a little paranoid given she was spayed later in life. As an FYI, she is generally healthy and is on high quality novel protein grain free feed, normal vaccinations, omega supplements, etc.
CocoLeBear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Swollen Mammory Gland - Tumor?

Post by CocoLeBear »

Sorry - I got distracted before I really finished replying. Again, just curious if anyone with a female dog (please let me know if spayed or not) has received a comment from the vet about a mammory gland being fatty. Was it just one? Did they recommend anything else? Does this mean that the dog is a bit over weight? Any helpful advice?
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

I just noticed this. I don't have any experience with this issue, but hope that the vet was able to give you some good news.
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
CocoLeBear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CocoLeBear »

Sorry that I forgot to post an update sooner. Went to the vet, who thought it was just a fatty deposit. It was biopsied and benign, thank goodness!
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

That is fantastic news! Thank you for the wonderful update.
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye