Hot Spots

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

jgerber
Rank 0
Rank 0

Hot Spots

Post by jgerber »

Hello everyone. I have a 6 year old Chow Chow and for some reason he has started having hot spots. I have tried everything I know from antihistimines and taking him to the vet, where they gave him steroid shots to stop the itching. He does not have fleas, I use frontline faithfully. I also know about the skin problems, so I don't bath him alot because I don't want to dry his skin out. Please help. Thank You, A Greatfull Chow Chow owner
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

This is a common problem brought up on this site. Most have success with changing the diet to exclude wheat fillers, etc. Many feed high quality food versus the grocery store brands. Yes, a little more expensive but it saves in vet costs. Brands such as Nutro, Royal Canine, etc. are recommended. If you go to the search function on this site and look for hot spots or itchy, etc. you should find several posts regarding this. Also, check out the FAQ tab.
Hope this helps,
Karen
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Chows seem to suffer from hot spots and Milly and Mabel do sometimes. A good while ago, Mabel had a particularly nasty one on her back and the vet gave her two courses of antibiotics. It would not clear up and was really horrid and weepy. I took her back to the vet and saw another lady vet. I voiced my concern about more antibiotics and she told me to bathe the area with warm salty water, dab it dry with a soft cloth or towel and then rub some antiseptic ointment in. :roll:
This I did and even though Mabel flinched when I bathed with salty water, she was not distressed and Fred cuddled her whilst I did the business. I rubbed the ointment in and repeated this for a couple more days. It cleared up pretty quickly. :)
Since then, when they occasionally get a hot spot, this is how I treat them at the first sign and it always works.
They don't get the antibiotics pumped into them - good old fashioned remedy, I guess and it works, certainly for Milly and Mabel. :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
diana chin
Rank 0
Rank 0

Hot Spots: Rinse...rinse...rinse again!

Post by diana chin »

Hi Everyone,
Bear and I have't visited for a long time. I've missed reading all your posts and the comraderie you share. 'Hope you all welcome us back. And the redesign of this site looks great.
About hot spots, I'm curious if jgerber from Nov 16 resolved his chow's hot spots? He did not post after Judy offered her advice.
I have 2 more possibilities to try. They've been posted on this site before: My neighbor uses Epson salt (which is similar to table salt, I'm told).
The other is rinse your chow thoroughly. My Bear has alot of fur. I learned from this site to rinse out the soap thoughly. Rinse again. When you think you've gotten all the soap out...rinse again! Extra rinsing can't be advised enough for chows since they have thick fur. And for me, it's better than watching Bear scratch a day after his bath, me being upset thinking I should have rinsed one last time. The oils in the chow's coat return quickly, but if needed, I use some Keri oil diluted with water.
My chow gives me kisses after his bathe. We like that part the best!!
Good luck. Try to post your results. Thanks. :roll:
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I thought I'd bring this up again, when I found this reply to the hotspot question on another site. The poster is a breeder that has been around Chows for many years, and breeds for champions. I should think she has some amount of experience with Chow issues. I think I will try this when i bathe Lily.

Chows rock!

Reply #8 - Aug 17th, 2006, 9:13pm This isn't a cure for hotspots but a VERY good preventative I have used for all the years I have been in poodles and Chows (over 35 now..eeek!)

A very very wise breeder gave me her secret recipe. It was two words on an index card. "WHITE VINEGAR"

That's all it is. Use 1 cup of white vinegar in a gallon of warm water, Pour over the already well rinsed Chow. Massage all over just because the dog will love it...then rinse with tempid water and watch what happens.

Just when you think your dog has not a single trace of soap residue left from all your rinsing...you will be SHOCKED at the "sheet" of soapy bubbles that roll off the dogs coat!

Continue to rinse until there are no more bubbles which doesn't take very long. Dry as usual.

This is where you will find another benefit of the vinegar rinse. The dog will blow dry with a high velocity dryer in HALF the time and the coat will shine like crazy! Color is intensified too on reds.

AND YET ANOTHER BENEFIT!!!!!!! Vinegar rinsing drives away fleas!!!!! No more fleas!! PeRIOD!! I mop my kennels with white vinegar and water too just for that reason, plus it keep hot spots from developing on the belly from strong floor detergents or chlorine.
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

Thanks much, Auddymay!

With a little vinegar and Judy's salt trick, I can cure Benny's hotspot problems right out of my kitchen. I just hope he doesn't end up smelling like fish and chips. =D= :lol:
Jess04920
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jess04920 »

What a great tip. Thanks for sharing! I wonder if you are able to smell the vinegar on the coat, though? Maybe it's diluted enough...
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Thank you for the vinegar tip - M & M are due their autumn bath so I will be using that. Rinsing their coats properly is always a problem!

Thing is with my salt thin - they could end up smelling like Chow and Chips!! :lol:
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

Quite a while ago, my vet told me to give JR fish oil gelcaps{formulated for canines} because he used to get hot spots when he was younger.
I started Cheyenne on them also when she moved in. I have to wrap JR's in cream chesses but Cheyenne eats hers straight...she lets it roll around in her mouth...such a good girl, unlike Mr. Nuerotic{my big baby, JR}

Also Alan brushes them 2-3x a week.
Bottom line...no hot spots...ever...ever!!!!
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "Just when you think your dog has not a single trace of soap residue left from all your rinsing..."

Auddy, I mentioned the vinegar rinse to you a couple of weeks ago, along with using the 'no residue' shampoo : )

There are also some posts in the archives on vinegar and yeast problems, vinegar-based shampoos etc.
mich
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mich »

Being a hair stylist for 30 years I totally agree with the white vinegar, it will get the residue of the shampoo out of the chows coat very well. I will tell you something else years ago, I raised and showed German Shepherds, and when bathing them I always put some tinture idodine in the water keep from the eyse though. I was given this tip by a breeder with far more experience and knowledge than I had. And it worked well I used to buy it by the gallon at a Feed Mill back then. I have never used it on my chows. Actually Iforget all about it till I read the vinegar rinse. It seemed to make my German Shepherds skin so clean and healthy looking. Never had flea problems either.
Mich,
Mom to Thunder, Thor and Shu-Ling
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Sorry Kiwani, I remember the no residue shampoo part, I must have glossed right over the vinegar response! Guess you have to hit me over the head with a detailed post for me to get it!
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

Thanks for posting or re-posting this. I don't remember it and Boogie is notorious for hot spots. I just saw this afternoon that he is starting one now. Will the vinegar rinse sting if he already has an open sore? Last time he had them I bought him some organic tea tree oil spray that has oatmeal, aloe, and vitamin E becasue it was supposed to offer relieve from the itching and hot spots. I sprayed it on him and he yelped and pulled away and now every time he sees the bottle he hides. I accidentally got some on a paper cut on my hand and it stung so now I know why he was complaining.
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Juniper »

Yes, it will sting on an open sore. I have been using vinegar on my body as a hair rinse and for skin defoliation after a shower for the past 37 years.

However, you can dilute it 50/50 with water and it will still take out any soap residue. I use one cup in my full washing machine and there are no soap suds if I rinse the clothes again. White vinegar is only 3% acidity so it shouldn't be as potent as apple cider vinegar which is 5%.

As far as smelling like vinegar- yep, my hair does smell a bit like it but the smell evaporates as the hours go by. But it's worth it for the smooth skin and shiny hair. :D
Jennifer & Sheena
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Great so when your out with Juniper you always have this urge to stop and get a salad.
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Juniper »

Wow Jeff- I could never figure out why I munch on raw spinach so often. =D= =D= =D=
Jennifer & Sheena
michelle&dutchess
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by michelle&dutchess »

Hi all,

Just wanted to say Thank you!! I am new to this site and stumbled on it when I was trying to figure out what to do for my gal Dutchess and her hot spots. She is only a bit over 2 and she seems to get them in spurts and I have tried every thing that I could think of to help her with them :evil: . I am going to try some of the suggestions on the site and with any luck I will be able to help her with them more quickly, it is a good thing that she is such a good girl and lets me do whatever with her (with in reason she tells me)!!

Thanks again,
Michelle and Dutchess :D
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Hello there and welcome.
I am sorry your girlie has hot spots - they are not nice and irritate. I hope you get them sorted out.
What colour is Duchess.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Judy, I'm going to try your hot spot remedy/witchs brew ( not you the formula), she has one on the inside of her leg, you said it stings for a second? You know Pekoe, Am I going to get bit.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Now, there is the question! Good luck! I hope it works for her - tell her that M & M just flinch a little and then stalk off for a sulk when it is all done! You never know, she might listen, but there again................ :roll:
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

This week I have become a firm believer in using vinegar. It is definitly helping Koda... I have some in a spray bottle and have been spraying some on the backs of his legs and tail. I feel it is serving 2 purposes... one, if there fleas (even tho I am using Frontline) that helps his itching them, and also Miss Molly doesn't like to grab the back of his legs and tail now. Gee... she must not like the taste of the vinegar. :twisted: I just spray a fine mist on the backs of his legs and his tail once a day and rub it in. I could care less what it smells like... I don't usually take to smelling the back of Koda anyway. :oops: It sure seems to be doing the trick. Thanks Kiwani.
Nancy and Tai

kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "Molly doesn't like to grab the back of his legs and tail now."

Good! Now Koda needs some time to grow winter leggings and bloomers before winter weather sets in.

:wink:
michelle&dutchess
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by michelle&dutchess »

Well I tried the salt and vinegar (and as I re-read this it looks like I just turned her into a snack!!) wash today so we will see what happend with Dutchess over the next couple of days. As I wrote the other day I found a new sore on her chest. It wasn't weeping yet so it had just started so with any luck I caught this one in time. Dutchess looks a lot like your gals Milly and Mabel, I was going to post a picture of her but I couldn't figure out how to.
Thanks again everyone!!