Nutro Natural Choice Shortage

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Ginger Bears Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Nutro Natural Choice Shortage

Post by Ginger Bears Mom »

Wondering if anyone else is experiencing difficulty obtaining the Natural Choice product from Nutro? We are being told the shortages should begin to ease in March, well almost middle of the month and am having a devil of a time locating any. Of course Vet still promotes Science Diet, says that Nutro makes them eat more and poop more, but I am not going to that topic. I have researched the varieties that everyone here uses and can utilize as a back up. But only thing I was able to get my hands on two weeks ago were the small bags and we just opened the 2nd bag this week. Getting nervous. Anyone else having problems?
Betty, Ziggy's Mom
Ginger Bears Mom ~ In Loving Memory, 8.5.93 - 11.16.07

"Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next."
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Nutro Natural Choice Shortage

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I haven't noticed any shortage but I only buy the small bags I don't have anywhere to keep the big bags. I haven't noticed the big bag supply but Pet-smart and Healthypet Shelves are stocked full with the small bags.

Is this the same vet that gave the vaccines? Chows eat to much Nutro and poop to much from eating it? I would be checking what vaccines he is giving. Types of vaccines and the yearly routine has changed so you might want to look into that.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Ginger Bears Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Our stores are out of Small, Medium and Large size bags of large breed lamb and rice puppy, I managed to snag the last two small bags, no larger sizes available. Heck the local pet stores here even have the Nutro reps there on the weekends to take the heat off of the store personnel. I guess Lamb & Rice is the most popular, we always fed that to our last chow and never had any health issues with her and she had a beautiful coat.

Yeppers, same vet, we have never seen eye to eye on SD even with our last chow. Yesterday Ziggy had his 2nd round of puppy shots, they were, DHPP, Corona Virus, and Bordatella. We did not have any problems with his first round of these shots. So we are a scratching our heads, must be the gonads that grew over night. Just can't figure that one out.
Betty, Ziggy's Mom

"Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next."
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I haven't noticed any shortages here in San Antonio. I buy mine on base because it's cheaper and I usually have a coupon for military only stores. I just wish they would stock some Nutro treats. I've put in two request forms and never heard back from either of them.
Ginger Bears Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Well if I get desperate I may need to make a run to San Antonio, that is if your a willing, but wait you said your local stores have it as well? Maybe a puppy play visit? And FOOD for the chow hound.
Betty, Ziggy's Mom

cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

No shortages here in SR at the local PetCo. As a matter of fact, the Nutro sales rep was there on Saturday and gave Sid these new kind of treats that has apple in them? Sid loves them and did ALL his tricks for the rep. LOL..
Tai's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tai's Mom »

There are no shortages of Nutro here. I buy the Nutro Ultra for Large Breed Puppies and not the Lamb and Rice (Tai doesn't like the Lamb and Rice). But we did see plenty of Nutro Lamb and Rice in all combinations and bag size at Petsmart this past Saturday. My daughter got some for her German Shepard puppy.
Cy & Tai
All this and you wanted a Shih Tzu too?
Ginger Bears Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Well now this really stinks for me. I did call Nutro, the company official statement is that shortages of the Lamb & Rice are anticipated to occur for at least a few more weeks. If you see your brand of food on the shelf purchase as many bags as you are able to.

They had a plant that had a machine down, took two weeks to get a replacement, fine tune it and getting it humming. I also conveyed that according to a forum I belong to no one anywhere else in the country is experiencing this and that it could be acquired in other parts of TX. No offers of anything for the inconvenience, just sorry, sweet lady but very sorry. Indicated she would forward my comments to mgmt. Well then perhaps I need to start checking on other brands...back to that thread!
Betty, Ziggy's Mom

Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

The very least you, should have been offered some coupons. Must not want your business too badly...I used to feed Nutro L&R. The furkids ate it, but didn't truely like it. Now, I now feed them Nature's Recipe Venison & Rice (sensitive skin formula) and they seem to enjoy it more.
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Just let me know if it really gets bad and I can arrange an Operation VITTLES to your neck of the woods. I feed mine L&R small bites, but can pick up whatever you might need. Since I retired last week and haven't been hired anywhere else yet, I'll have some free time on my hands. 8)
Ginger Bears Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Auddymay wrote:The furkids ate it, but didn't truely like it. Now, I now feed them Nature's Recipe Venison & Rice (sensitive skin formula) and they seem to enjoy it more.
Hmm, will add that to my list of replacement foods to research, I like the thought of venison, and although Zigster does not have a skin problem persay with the dry air we have had he has been scrathing a bit more or late, and they can be prone to skin iritations, we at least have rid him of his dandruff (as I call it) situation. Was able to locate a bag of L&R small bites Saturday, a pet store south of me was able to call the rep and I have a 40 lb bag coming in Wednesday (I Hope). This has really ticked me off and I don't get ticked off that easily, (perpetually wear rose colored glassed) Saturday Science Diet rep was more helpful to me than the Nutro rep who seemed not to care.
fillyok wrote:Operation VITTLES to your neck of the woods.
Thanks very much for your offer, hopefully we are okay providing the delivery comes this week. I really appreciate the offer. Make me jealous wish I could retire :( But Hooray for you!!!! \:D/
Betty, Ziggy's Mom

vizavis
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by vizavis »

Hi,
I don't have a Chow Chow but I was glad to see this post. I am so distressed over the shortage of Nutro Herring Meal and Potato for Sensitive Skin and Stomach that I am at my wits end. It has been over a month and still none has arrived here in Corpus Christi. (Texas) It is the only thing that has benefited my little Scottie's Coat. You see he is hyperallergic to almost everything and ends up loosing so much of his hair. After years of searching and trying almost everthing else, finally this brand made a difference. Petco and Petsmart are the only two places to purchase this food and I was told the reason for the shortage is that there was a shortage of bags for packaging! (???) I'm not stupid so what is the problem?
Thanks,
Pam V.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I just left Healthy Pet they said they aren't having any problems with Nutro the Shelf's are stocked full of every kind of Nutro and all sizes of bags Natural Choice and Max of every type samething at Pet-smart. It seems to be a Texas Shortage. I wanted to try Wolfking but all they have are the giant bags so bought more Nutro incase there is a shortage but there sure isn't any Nutro shortage in LA.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

It's not just Texas, I was in Petsmart the other day here in Georgia and half the shelves were empty in the Nutro section. No problem with Purina, I loaded up! :lol:
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

That sounds like a strange reason to me. I did notice one of the types of Nutro has a new bag design. I can't remember what type it was, but it was definitely different than the rest.

Pam, if you want I can check on your herring and potato here in San Antonio. Maybe they can ship some to Corpus. Or I could even make the trip if you need some. I don't start working again until mid-April. I haven't been to the Coast in years and was actually thinking about a roadtrip before I start working again. I drove to Marble Falls yesterday just to pick strawberries...anyone want some fresh strawberries??? I figured since I drove over an hour I needed to pick a lot! :shock:

Let me know, okay. Thursday is the only day I have plans for...retired life is pretty nice so far. :wink:
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I can have some high grade Nutro shipped in from Cambodia then sneak it in to Texas If I can get some dealers in Texas to stand in the alleys at night selling the stuff....

Nutro cartel sounds good to me, They could make a Move about me, LA gangster... I may branch off into Nutoo Deserts if I can get them pass the Mexican border.

ImageImage
vizavis
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by vizavis »

Thanks for responding, Jeff. What a dear offer, fillyok. Thanks to everyone for responding as well. You know, maybe I could call Petsmart and Petco in San Antonio and make a little trip over there if they've got the Nutro I need. I checked again this afternoon and both stores here did receive a shipment of Nutro but still no Herring and Potato. I'm feeding Duncan some brand that has fish but it's not the same and can hear him stop to scratch just a little every once in a while. He was making such progress that I was all set to have him trimmed for the first time in almost a year and now this. Poor little guy, he's tough but I hate seeing him go through this misery again and the vet can't give him a cortizone shot since he was just vaccinated a week ago. I'l try calling San Antonio tomorrow morning and let you know what I find out. Thanks and bless you.
Pam V. :)
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Stop and visit the Alamo while your in San Antonio, All the time I spent at lackland in the AF I never did get to see it. The only time i ever came close to seeing the Alamo was on a Gomer pyle epasode him and sgt carter went.

ImageImage
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I'm heading to Petsmart in a few minutes. I'll check on the H&P and I'll also ask if they can ship it.

Jeff, you didn't miss anything. They make the Alamo seem much bigger and better than it really is. While I wouldn't p*** on it like Ozzy Ozbourne did, I wouldn't plan a vacation around it either. :wink: The other missions in SA are worth seeing if you're into old architecture and photography.
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

The Petsmart by my house was out of the H&P and also the venison one. It looked like they were the only type out of stock; all the rest of the types were pretty full.
I looked around a little bit and found Blue brand has a fish and sweet potato food. Have you ever tried that?
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Healthy pet had a couple of foods that had duck and potato and Some kind of fish and potato think it was Natures recipe or something like that. Natures recipe is supposed to be good food.

http://www.naturesrecipe.com/DogProduct ... FishPotato

ImageImage