Purina Dog Food

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chowchowchow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chowchowchow »

so if the food doesnt have BHA, BHT or etohxyquin in the ingredient list that means i can feed it to my chow??what will propylene glycol do to pups, why do they even put that in the food if it has no effect
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

Triple chow--I have heard that in the US fish is preserved with ethoxyquin before shipped to preserve it. So, I'd still be leary of a "fish" or "fish meal" formula. They don't have to list it because THEY didn't add it, it was added before it got to them.

A rep from Eagle Pack is on my other board and he has told me that they have Coast Guard clearance and do not use it in their products.

Propylene glycol is used to keep food moist, so it's mostly in soft treats. It's not a vitamin or anything like that. I don't give anything with that in it, she doesn't need chemicals in her body just for a snack. It's been awhile since I've read about it but I think it's similar to anti-freeze. :shock:
Last edited by willowchow on Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

Something else to think about, I think that if a company doesn't actually add the ingredient themselves they don't have to list it on the bag. You just have to go with a good company and ask them questions.
chowchowchow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chowchowchow »

Hello!! u havent answered my question? so if the food doesnt have any of the ingredients that u listed will be fine for my chow?
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "A small list would be:
Innova, Canidae, Eagle Pack, Solid Gold, Nature's Variety."

---

I'd exclude the Eagle Pack, Nature's Variety, and Canidae.

: )
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

Kiwani-Really, why????

ChowChowChow-Re-read my post, the answer is right there with the exceptions. Your tone is so rude. :evil:
chowchowchow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chowchowchow »

oh im so sorry i didnt mean to thank u
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

:( I'm no baker but the Banana Mutt receipe seemed fairly easy - (which is why I tried it)...my two sniffed and gave me a look sort of like "Where's the beef?"...I only baked a few...I'm going to try and enhance the remaining batch and hopefully get a better response :lol:
I'll look for more receipes...
Karen
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

Chow--What??? :roll:
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "Kiwani-Really, why????"
---

I don't support the use of 'all life stages' maintenance formulas for pups. I don't support the use of salt, genetically-modified beet pulp, certain filler ingredients, certain synthetic supplements harmful to the immune system, and formulas high in grains.
Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mandy »

Willow... I'm going to translate chowchowchow for you....

oh! (I didn't realize that you had posted the answers... I must have missed them.)I'm so sorry (If I offended you - I tend to write in the typical fashion of an instant messanger, which can be difficult to understand since I don't use punctuation.) I didn't mean to (sound rude, but it may come accross that way due to how I'm posting my messages.) Thank you (for all of your help. Everyone on this site responds so quickly and I do appreciate everyone taking an interest in my problems.)

So try not to take offense. :wink:
Mandy, Chewie, & Cayenne
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

Kiwani-I think I can figure out everything else but could you please point out the synthetic supplements for me?? I'd really appreciate it.

So, just to clarify you support life stage feeding for ALL dogs or just puppies??

Mandy--Thanks you! :lol:
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Mandy, you should be a translator at the UN! I was keeping up with the thread, too, and saw how the lack of punctuation was having negative effects. I was wondering if I should jump in when I saw your post! Thank you for helping us all keep some equilibrium.

In an aside- Pip's gastric problem is resolved, but it may be the new Nature's Recipe older dog formula that is the problem. Neither dog will eat it now. The bowl I put out yesterday morning went untouched until I threw it out today. It still appears to be okay, no mold or bad smell. Since it is the first bag I bought of this brand for Pip, I'm wondering if it is just this bag, or if it is the food in general. Of course, I have no reciept and it's been 2 weeks, so no return there. I'm going to have to try some other brand. Maybe I'll join the In Crowd and put her on Nutro!
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

Willow really likes the Nutro MAX Beef & Rice dinner, it's in a red bag. They also make the same flavor in large breed.

It' really wasn't her lack of punctuation, it was more the sarcastic, "hello!!" at the beginning of her post, but it's over now. Thank you again.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "...but could you please point out the synthetic supplements for me?"
---

I wouldn't buy any of these:

Menadione Sodium Bisulfite
Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex
Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfite

ethylenediamine dihydriodide (EDDI)

+

Re: "So, just to clarify you support life stage feeding for ALL dogs or just puppies??"

---

I support 'growth' formulas for pups, for pregnant and lactating dogs, for certain debilitated dogs. Working dogs, cancer dogs, stressed dogs, phobic dogs, immune-deficient dogs, etc, etc. have their own special nutritional needs.

While you were away, Nancy started some threads on growth and maintenance formulas, and she included some links for discussion, if you are interested.
; )
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

kiwani wrote: While you were away, Nancy started some threads on growth and maintenance formulas, and she included some links for discussion, if you are interested.
; )
ROFL... Nancy is getting to be a pro at the nutritional stuff. :oops: Of course I have had the very best in teachers. :)
Nancy and Tai