voracious appetite

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

threedogjeep
Rank 3
Rank 3

voracious appetite

Post by threedogjeep »

Many of you talk about how finiky your chows are....or how they eat to live. Well, Leela thinks food is greatest thing in the whole world. Food of any kind. She jumps and runs in circles While I am getting it ready, then when I stir she gently places her paw on my leg just to make sure that I know she is there and I don't forget her when I feed the others. I have to tell her to sit to put her dish down. Then when she finished she checks out 'Zilla's bowl and makes sure it is clean. Then she stands and watches Caity until she is done, and then cleans her bowl up (no food is ever left as both 'Zil and Cait are members of the "Clean plate club."

Anything I have ever put in her bowl, she has gone after like a rocket.!! Anyone else have a little piglet???
Twelve Paws UP!!
Sharon Rose
Desi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: voracious appetite

Post by Desi »

threedogjeep wrote:Anyone else have a little piglet???
The only pig here is the Jack russell terrier.The rest of them always have access to food,that may be why they don't go wild over it.
Of course they're right there when we have something,that's dh's fault,he'll share whatever won't kill them with them.
Rowlee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rowlee »

Yes, I have an absolute little piglet too, who lives for food. He dances and does circles when it's food time. He puts his body in the fridge when you open it, licks dirty plates etc in the dishwasher if you leave the door open. Goes around the kitchen floor "vacuuming" up any crumbs or bits of food that you might have dropped. Jumped up at my dinner plate the other week when I was sitting on the couch with my dinner on a tv tray and took a mouthful of coleslaw:-x

That's why he was named Wilbur, after the pig in movie/book Charlotte's Web :lol:

Thanks so much Sweetpea, you're a star!
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

I have two piglets. Cinder is the worst, though. She'll take your hand off with the food if you let her. She barks and dances while I'm fixing their food. Then she sits loud and hard so I'll know she's done it. If I don't immediately put the food down she'll stand up and sit down again. (I make them sit before they get any food).
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Oh yes, piggy chowlet here.

We practice NILF here and I make Mia go through her retinue of tricks. (Sit, wave, paw and lay down.) I used to do it in that order, and now while I am mixing the food, she will come over and do the sit, wave, paw and lay down it 2 seconds flat.

Now, I have to rearrange the tricks in different order. And, if I make her do to many, she will play-growl while she is doing them, to let me know that she thinks it's enough.

Then, she DIVES into the bowl, like chows in the snow, heiney up in the air. She doesn't come up for air until the bowl is clean and shiney.

That's my piggy, I mean, girl!
Mia
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

Mia wrote: We practice NILF here and I make Mia go through her retinue of tricks. (Sit, wave, paw and lay down.) I used to do it in that order, and now while I am mixing the food, she will come over and do the sit, wave, paw and lay down it 2 seconds flat.
Holden does the exact same thing for treats. I'll tell him to sit and if I wait a second he shakes and then lays down immediately. If I tell him he's cheating and has to sit back up, he sits for just a second then shakes right away again and back to the floor he goes. I make him shake repeatedly just to get him out of the routine that he has (both paws!) and once he thinks he's done enough he lays down again! Little smart butt...

Holden only gets excited about canned food and his treats. His regular food he couldn't care less.
ImageImageImage
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Alf should have been named Wilber :roll: He would HOOVER up food given the chance! I've not yet found ANYTHING he doesn't want to eat :shock:

Millie gets excited about her treats. Most of the time though, she acts as though you maybe trying to poison her with the food you are offering :roll:
Thank you Elodie!
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Too funny, these smarty pants chows.

I don't think Mia would ever stop to think about what it was I was feeding her. In fact, I think she would hoover up a cardboard box before she realized that it wasn't food.

Like I starve the little niblet!
Mia
Aimee
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Aimee »

Rowlee wrote:Yes, I have an absolute little piglet too, who lives for food. He dances and does circles when it's food time. He puts his body in the fridge when you open it, licks dirty plates etc in the dishwasher if you leave the door open. Goes around the kitchen floor "vacuuming" up any crumbs or bits of food that you might have dropped. Jumped up at my dinner plate the other week when I was sitting on the couch with my dinner on a tv tray and took a mouthful of coleslaw:-x

That's why he was named Wilbur, after the pig in movie/book Charlotte's Web :lol:
haha rylee is the exact same as wilbur at food time!
new chow mum to a beautiful furgirl.. hooked 4eva
puddinglove
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by puddinglove »

Haha, piglet chows are too funny. Pudding gets excited about the semi-raw meals I fix for her every other meal. Could care less about dry food, though. Oh, and you should have seen her with the prime rib bone she got for Christmas... :roll: