Raw Bones

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

waternight
Rank 0
Rank 0

Raw Bones

Post by waternight »

Sorry if this question has been asked before.

Has anyone even give their chow chow raw marrow bones?
I am think of giving it my chow chow and want to know if it is a good idea.

Thanks,
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

I use to pick up raw beef bones with the marrow in it. They loved it. The problem was that Mr. N didn't want to share so I don't give them anymore. They can eat from the same bowl but when it comes to the marrow bones - he can be a real butthead about it.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Rowlee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Raw Bones

Post by Rowlee »

waternight wrote:Sorry if this question has been asked before.

Has anyone even give their chow chow raw marrow bones?
I am think of giving it my chow chow and want to know if it is a good idea.

Thanks,
I understand that it's not a good idea. Apparently the marrow in the bone is very fatening and can upset their tummies. Plus, I think marrow bones are prone to splintering.

Sabina

Thanks so much Sweetpea, you're a star!
Aimee
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Aimee »

yes feed raw lamb necks cut into sections )your butcher will do this) and lamb bones, chicken necks. just not beef bones, pork bones or anything to do with turkey. i feed my baby a raw food diet and she is healthier and happier than ever
new chow mum to a beautiful furgirl.. hooked 4eva
Rowlee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rowlee »

Aimee wrote:yes feed raw lamb necks cut into sections )your butcher will do this) and lamb bones, chicken necks. just not beef bones, pork bones or anything to do with turkey. i feed my baby a raw food diet and she is healthier and happier than ever
Oh Aimee, you've caught on quick to all this raw feed stuff haven't you?? :lol: How's Rylee going on her raw diet?

Sabina

Grab
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Grab »

Legend gnaws on marrow bones as a recreational bone (not for a food source) I always feed under supervision, but I've yet to have one splinter. He isn't a heavy duty chewer though, so perhaps that has something to do with it. I've not had an issue with marrow upsetting a stomach on even my small dogs, however, were it an issue, the marrow easily scoops out, so I'd just take out a portion of it so it's not so marrow heavy if you worry about an issue

Were I feeding as a food source, I'd go with lamb, chicken, etc
sengeoz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sengeoz »

Small marrow bones (no ball joints or large marrow bones which can break or split teeth) are a great source of recreational chewing. Provide them to your dog in moderation (once or twice a week). After a day or so outside, pick them up and throw them away.

Cheers,
Judith-Ann
Sengé Chows, VIC (Australia)
Aimee
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Aimee »

Rowlee wrote:
Aimee wrote:yes feed raw lamb necks cut into sections )your butcher will do this) and lamb bones, chicken necks. just not beef bones, pork bones or anything to do with turkey. i feed my baby a raw food diet and she is healthier and happier than ever
Oh Aimee, you've caught on quick to all this raw feed stuff haven't you?? :lol: How's Rylee going on her raw diet?

Sabina
yes she loves it and i loving feeding it to her. altho i noticed there are no bones lying around so i watched her eating one this morning, and she chews it down till it get so small, then she swallows it.... im sure this cannot be good for her... what do you suggest? do i need to go to bigger bones? im a lil concerned about this?
Rowlee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rowlee »

Aimee wrote:
Rowlee wrote:

Sabina
yes she loves it and i loving feeding it to her. altho i noticed there are no bones lying around so i watched her eating one this morning, and she chews it down till it get so small, then she swallows it.... im sure this cannot be good for her... what do you suggest? do i need to go to bigger bones? im a lil concerned about this?
No, Aimee that's fine as far as I know. What bones are you giving her? Wilbur has a whole chicken carcass for breakfast and we find a couple of the little bones in his pooh sometimes - it's because they are soft that they don't hurt them.

Sabina

Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

My guys eat the raw bones just fine. I have some issues with Alf eating WHOLE duck necks without chewing :shock: but no ill effects even from that. If you can find turkey etc necks, the bones are a good natural source of glucosomine 8)
Thank you Elodie!
waternight
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by waternight »

Thanks eveyone. I gave my chow for the first time last night under supervision a raw marrow bone and he loves it. So far no splinter.
Aimee
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Aimee »

Layla wrote:My guys eat the raw bones just fine. I have some issues with Alf eating WHOLE duck necks without chewing :shock: but no ill effects even from that. If you can find turkey etc necks, the bones are a good natural source of glucosomine 8)

Rylee has a half of lambs neck, chews it for bout an hour and swallows the remainding bone. usually about the size of an avacado pip. i just dont understand how her body can break them down, but hey if no ones had any issues then i wont stress because boy does she loooove them