food=hot spots

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Aimee
Rank 0
Rank 0

food=hot spots

Post by Aimee »

Ok so my baby got her 1st hot spot and boy what a painful experience for her and man i hated to see her so distressed!
We went to the vet as soon as i saw it pop up and they shaved the area, gave her a steroid shot and she is on antibiotics for 7 days. aslong as i am watching her, she will not lick or bite this horrible skin infection which is great as i have a bucket (forgotton the technical name) that i haaaaaate to put on her and she looks so sad when i do. i have been nuturing my lil baby back to health. Any ways, we were on an organic food diet, and i had been waiting on more food to arrive so i fed her a supermarket brand in the mean time, man what a bad mistake. i truly believe her hot spot has been caused by this crap food, and i feel terrible! so ive dumped my food reps *Censored Word* (you see, you cant buy this brand in pet stores,and i do not want to rely on her anymore!) and have swapped to nutro because of recommendations of many people, researching the product and because ive seen through many threads on here that many of you also put your trust in this brand. now time will tell to see is we have hot spots reaccuring but boy do i pray that they do not. i hate to see my lil girl in pain. i wanted to share my experience, and to know if any one else who has a related experience could share with me, and to let the people know who are researching food, it is not worth compromising your babys food, not even for a week or two. it is amazing how fast a hot spot comes up! our babies are worth the best of everything!
new chow mum to a beautiful furgirl.. hooked 4eva
sengeoz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sengeoz »

Aimee,

Food allergies are very common in Chows and at the top of the list of food allergies are wheat, corn, soy & beef and sometimes even chicken. However, changing foods suddenly can also cause a reaction.

Personally, I only feed my crew a raw diet and have done so for over 15 years. I find that the commercial stuff is way too expensive and leaves dogs with wind and stinky poop. However, my personal preferences are mine and you have to make up your own mind about what and how you feed your girl.

Since I don't live in the US, I can't comment on the commercial brands over there other than to say that the only commercial brands I know that get past the commerical purists over here (I live in Australia) are Solid Gold and Eagle Pack. What I know of Bravo, however, is that this is the commercial brand I would chose if in the US and if in the position of having to feed commercially.

Cheers,
Judith-Ann
Sengé Chows, VIC (Australia)