Orijen puppy

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

deidre
Rank 0
Rank 0

Orijen puppy

Post by deidre »

Have been looking at the orijen food site and the food seems promising. I have also heard good things about it in one of the posts on what to feed your chow.

I am very interested in purchasing it but there are too kinds of orijen puppy food, one normal brand and one large breed. So i was wondering which i should buy, ive read that its good to put a chow pup on large breed then move them over to normal as an adult but orijen could be different to hills.

What are you guys that feed your chows orijen using, for puppies i mean.

Also, if indeed i do purchase the orijen is it still neccessary for me to feed her chicken livers,hearts,etc? I also use efazol on her current food coz of her dry skin, when i switch over should i still use it and feed her human food?

Give me shout, thnx :D
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

I don't recommend foods like Orijen for Chows, or any 'high performance low carb, no grain' formula. These formulas can cause problems with stone formation in breeds which aren't very active, or dogs who don't get much exercise every day. Adding organ meats like liver can compound the problem. Complex carbs actually help prevent certain stones from forming. Orijen includes diuretic herbs and other herbs to help protect the urinary system because they are aware of the problems of such diets.
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

I switched to Orijen this summer. It's the only food my chow will eat. Previously I tried Nutro Dental. She hated it, wouldn't even eat with gravy or fish or fish oil. I don't want to feed my chow something that may harm her when she gets older. This food issue is a tough one. On the Nutro she scratched herself, Mikki was itchy. She's fine eating the Orijen. My chow is four years old.

I bought Orijen for the cats, they don't care for it and after eating one bag I noticed they put on considerable weight.
Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

leisa75
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by leisa75 »

large breen puppy is what i feen my boy my girl eats the adult food.. i love this food and so do my chows...there coats are awesome and they do very well on it !
thanks sweetpea
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

Mikki came to live with us a year ago. She already had a nice shiny coat then, she was fed supermarket food. I bought a better grade dog food and now she's been fed the Orijen since summer. She was spayed in June, that may make a difference too. Her fur is much thicker, tail is bushier than last year.
Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI