EVO

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Sojourner11
Rank 2
Rank 2

EVO

Post by Sojourner11 »

Anybody feeding this? I got some free samples after I went to pick up a bag of SGWK and they were out. I fed the Chicken and Beef EVO and they really seems to respond to it. I like to switch flavors between the SG lines but they are leaving more and more in the bowl these days. So I tried a bag of the beef EVO and so far no major mishaps or issues.

Just wanted to get some feedback if anybody here has tried it.

http://www.evopet.com/
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Sean,
I was feeding it to Butters and he loved it. But his poop never got solid on it. The vet said for Butters it was too much protein for his body. Mostly since he was not all that active.

But I think if your dogs respond well it is suppose to be a good food. It also helped with his allergies.
SweetPea Rocks!!
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Sean,

You are so sweet! You always strive to do the very best for your furkids. You're a very good dog-daddy!

Here's what I understand about Evo and more general info
to help you decide what you want to feed your furkids...

Where to start????....
EVO is high-protein, high calcium, very low-carb, and grain-free.
Large breeds adults, say over 5 years of age, do better on this than small breeds and younger adults.
Depending on the source, (animal or plant life) high protein, especially from plant sources, can cause dogs to drink more water, and increase urine ouput. Red Meat variety typically has more of the B-complex vitamins, which are water soluable and a little bit less calcium.
B vitamins (along with other vits and mineral, including calcium) are flushed from the body of a dog who urinates too often. This contributes to a dry coat appearance and lethargy.

Your furkid(s) may not have increased thirst or urine output, especially if the protein source is from high quality animal sources. The key is the QUALITY of the protein. Since, I'm not sure of the quality of EVO's protein, nor it source, I can't answer all the questions you must have.
Generally speaking, I like the idea of very low carbs, because unlike humans, dogs do not convert energy from carbs. They convert energy from fat. Also, I like the high calcium levels for the 5 years and over age group.
You see, it really depends on the age, activity level, and genetics as to what is utilized by your furkid.
Bottonline: I would use the EVO you have, mixed 50% with wet, such as Solid Gold canned, to feed furkids of varying ages.
When feeding a younger more active furkid, I would accept higher levels of fat, too.
I believe EVO has a substantial level of fat? Have to check on that one.
However, they do offer low fat varieties for seniors or inactive couch potatoes.
There is ongoing debate in the Veterinary field as to how much protein to feed. Many years ago, testing done on rats proved that high protein levels were destructive to the kidneys...of rats. Scientists *applied* their theory to canines, however there was never any actual testing done on the effects of high protein on canines. Much less extrapolate the effects of different sources of protein.
This is why we hear..."High protein is bad for kidneys".
However, more recent and species appropriate testing has proven just the opposite is true. In fact, the need for animal source protein is increased with age and does not cause renal failure or kidney disease.
Always check the phosphorus levels, as well as sodium levels in dry dog food. These are the silent killers.
A dog food high in plant matter will naturally be high in phosphorus. As far as chicken, turkey, or beef?
Beef is the lowest in phosphorus. Phosphorus wreaks havoc on kidneys. In studies done on dogs that have lived to be over 20 years of age, their diets were found to be high protein, low carb, and very low phosphorus.
With this info, I hope it helps you to find just the right dog food your furkids.
You know I'm not a vet, nor a veterinary nutritionist, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn last night. :D
I hope this helps.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

I don't recommend high performance formulas for lower activity dogs, because that combination would make them more prone to forming urinary stones. Such diets are also linked with increased aggression; and because we have so many pups and young Chows on this site, it's important to stress that such diets contribute to bone problems. High levels of inflammatory fats also contribute to overloading the cox-2 balance, which affects joint inflammation.

If your dogs don't have any existing inflammation problems, consider the regular Innova formula, with 24% protein and 14% fat. It contains more pro-inflammatory ingredients than Solid Gold, btw.

Excerpts:

"Because energy (primarily from fat) and calcium are nutrients known to be risk factors for developmental skeletal disease, the level of these nutrients should be near the minimum requirement. Meeting but not exceeding the requirement for these nutrients ensures proper growth while minimizing risk factors for skeletal disease."

"Because fat has twice the caloric density of protein or carbohydrate, dietary fat is the primary contributor to excess energy intake."

http://personal.palouse.net/valeska/Gro ... energy.htm