Glucosamine diet

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

OzzyMom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Glucosamine diet

Post by OzzyMom »

Does anyone know if there is a food out there that contains glucosamine for a chow with bad hips?
I do give supplements but i was just wondering if there was a food too?

Thanks
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

I don't know about food, but I recently went to a health food store (locally) and they carried dog food, etc. Anyway, they had treats with Glucosamine, like jerky treats and other chews with it in them. I can't remember the brand off the top of my head. If I get back over there I will check out the name.
SweetPea Rocks!!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Nutro has a line of food and treats with Glucosamine, I feed my Chow Nutro senior it has Glucosamine in it plus they have a box of cookies with Glucosamine. the senior food in is a silver bag and the cookies a silver box. I switch between Nutro senior and Nutro Lamb and rice for skin problems, Green bag.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Orijens has Glucosimine/chondroitin. But, if your chowkid already has arthitis, the small amount found in commercial dog food usually isn't enough. My Princess Buttercup has arthritis in her elbows. She used to avoid playtime and had a limp. A supplement of Glucosimine, Chondrotin, and MSM blended has really helped her. Now, it is rare that she limps, even after a short walk. I get it online from Puritan's Pride, it's called "Joint Soother". It is human grade and lower in sodium than any other I have found.
I keep canned Solid Gold in the frig. When it is cold, it's easy to wrap it around a pill for ease in administering.
I hope this helps.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
threedogjeep
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by threedogjeep »

Anyone else on here use Glycoflex?
Twelve Paws UP!!
Sharon Rose
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "Anyone else on here use Glycoflex?"

The Glyco-Flex is considered to be pharmaceutical grade glucosamine, but one of the inactive ingredients, 'smoke flavor' may be MSG.
debraschow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by debraschow »

Kiwani: is that amount of MSG bad?
Debra: Hobo and Milo's Mom
Banner by Sweetpea!
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Some dogs are more susceptible to MSG's effects. It can trigger seizures. It's not an ingredient I would choose to feed every day.