Another possible food scare....

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Another possible food scare....

Post by Red Dragon »

I got a cross post that someone just sent some food to the lab for toxin checks. They sent Canidae Lamb & Rice and California Naturals Lamb & Rice, for some reason the lab mixed the two and ran the test, it came back that it contained acetaminophen, they do not know which food had it or if both had it. I thought I would pass this along since I know people on here feed that food. I suggest if your dog is sick or acting weird and you are feeding that food you get it to the vet. They are going to retest each food, when I hear something I will let you know.
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Thanks Sam.
Thank you Elodie!
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

:evil: :evil: Dang it! The place that I get our canned SD from was completely out except for the one made with tripe...I didn't want to go there...so I picked Canidae - it has chicken and lamb...So I'm back to the store tomorrow and hopefully they have SD again - if not, I'll get Nutro or something else...when is this going to stop?
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

It appears it isn't going to stop anytime soon, I got a recall notice that Mars Pet Food recalled some of their product for samonella poisoning, and get this, humans can contract the disease by just handling the food.

I suggest that everyone get on the FDA recall list, you would be amazed at all of the stuff that gets recalled that you never hear about on the news, guess dogs and people have to die before the news will even look at it. :roll:
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
CloudeSkie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CloudeSkie »

OMG! :shock:

Just changed yumi's food to Canidae Lamb and Rice (because she is allergic to chicken) - after doing much research on where to get it here in our country.

She was having hotspots and we suspect its the food we give her - :oops: Beef pro for puppies - since it was one of the brand we could easily get near us. But hard to admit that when we got wiser (?) about her food, we now find out that Canidae might be on the "bad" food list? Ouch! :(
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

CloudeSkie wrote:OMG! :shock:

Just changed yumi's food to Canidae Lamb and Rice (because she is allergic to chicken) - after doing much research on where to get it here in our country.

She was having hotspots and we suspect its the food we give her - :oops: Beef pro for puppies - since it was one of the brand we could easily get near us. But hard to admit that when we got wiser (?) about her food, we now find out that Canidae might be on the "bad" food list? Ouch! :(
You should be fine, I rechecked this recently & Canidae is fine 8)
Thank you Elodie!
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

I've done the same with California Natural because that's what Tess, Tacia, and the cats eat and the company sent numerous samples to outside labs who have not found any traces of acetaminophen.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Glad to hear the Canidae isn't a problem but I still can't get Solid Gold from the PetPals place. They have it on order but no deliveries for over a month now - not sure what's up with that! I've been getting the Wellness chicken or beef canned...they love it - but, of course, it's much more expensive! At least we have options.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh