Dog Treats

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

choirlady76
Rank 0
Rank 0

Dog Treats

Post by choirlady76 »

Hello! Is it ok to give dog treats? and what kinds do you suggest? giving my dog treats won't make her not want to eat her food? Thanks!
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Oh sure Butters loves treats. Just don't give them too many and they will eat thier food just fine. Butters usually gets 2-3 treats a day depending on what we are doing. More if we are nail clipping etc. If you are training just be sure and use small treats so that they go farther. His current favorite treat is a dehydrated sweet potatoe wrapped in dehydrated chicken. He loves these!!
SweetPea Rocks!!
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

My two like treats & eat their food very well :D

I give natural treats without any grains etc in for the dreaded toenail clipping, training & to help clean their teeth.
Thank you Elodie!
j72
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by j72 »

I give beer for the nail clipping.
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

j72 wrote:I give beer for the nail clipping.
Liar, you give pure ethanol. Like you'd waste beer on your fluffies. You may hide in that rescue remedy bottle, but I know better :roll:
Last edited by Layla on Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thank you Elodie!
j72
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by j72 »

Layla wrote:
Liar, you give pure ethanol. Like you's waste beer on your fluffies. You may hide in that rescue remedy bottle, but I know better :roll:
I give the rescue remedy... there is nothing wrong with mixing drinks! They like it... gets 'em all revved up for the laser light fiasco!
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

j72 wrote:
Layla wrote:
Liar, you give pure ethanol. Like you's waste beer on your fluffies. You may hide in that rescue remedy bottle, but I know better :roll:
I give the rescue remedy... there is nothing wrong with mixing drinks! They like it... gets 'em all revved up for the laser light fiasco![/quote

More evidence of your mistreatment of them... Tut tut!
Thank you Elodie!
j72
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by j72 »

Layla wrote:
More evidence of your mistreatment of them... Tut tut!
Nu uh! I give Snuffy Cosmo's... she is much more refined than the boys... how could that be abusive?
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

J72 you are a genius, never even occured to me to get him drunk before clipping those nails. But Butters is probably a mean drunk!!!! LOL
SweetPea Rocks!!
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

You should be okay if you say away from the Stella Artois larger TJ, it's not called 'wife beater' larger in England for nothing you know :wink:

Like you mix a cosmo JUST for Snuffy J72.... she just gets the dregs of yours :roll:
Thank you Elodie!
j72
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by j72 »

TJordan wrote:J72 you are a genius, never even occured to me to get him drunk before clipping those nails. But Butters is probably a mean drunk!!!! LOL
Just keep him off the tequila! Busey gets nasty with the te-killya...

Its a house party Layla! EVERYONE gets Cosmo's.... I give it another week and dogs from all over the neighborhood will be begging to get they're nails clipped at my house...

Maybe I should set up a disco ball....
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Funny you say disco ball.... we joke of getting one for when we bathe Millie as it takes a couple of Gin & Tonics to have the courage, then loud music to cover her whining at us from the neighbours...
Thank you Elodie!
j72
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by j72 »

LOL! I can just see the neighbors calling it in and you having to answer the door with sopping wet, soapy Millie begging them to get her OUT of there while you and DH try to explain (slurring) why this is for her own good...
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

It is though! How could they not see that? Really, it's all for Millie here.........
Thank you Elodie!
j72
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by j72 »

Poor Soapy Millie Muppet! Crying out for help while her lush parents giggle at her peril... at least I have the decency to share the open bar...

OH! And just to be OT... Mine have never had an issue with getting they're treats and still having an appetite for dinner... But then I think they have eating disorders as well...
choirlady76
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by choirlady76 »

Thank you all for your advice and for this entertaining thread, feeding your dog beer, that must be a riot to see, does it calm them down? My friend gives her dog coffee, and daisy just loves it!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

They're just joshing. Neither one would give their babies alcohol. My husband used to give our boxer a little beer, which he would invariably barf up an hour later. The idiot. Since his stomache is too tender to clean up dog vomit, and it is very bad for dogs, I put my foot down and said the next time it happened, he would have to clean it up. Well, it only took one more time...we actually fight all the time about stuff he wants to give the girls. He thinks I'm a magpie!