what should I feed to a 1 1/2 month old chow chow?

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

dajes87
Rank 0
Rank 0

what should I feed to a 1 1/2 month old chow chow?

Post by dajes87 »

hi, i'm new to this site (cool site by the way :D ). The guy I bought my chow chow from said I shouldn't give milk to the dog. What the crap can a month and a half dog eat, then? thanks in advance!
Samu
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

If the puppy is 6 weeks old it shouldn't have any problem eating puppy food, either dry kibble type, or canned food. Do not give the puppy milk, they cannot digest cows milk properly and you will do damage to their joints from excess calcium. As for what brand of food, that is always a debate, I feed Purina ProPlan to all of my dogs, whether it be a puppy, adult, or senior.
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!
Sydney
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sydney »

Just about all quality dog food companies make a puppy food. I use Flint River Ranch and they have a good puppy food that is really little kibbles or you can add a little water to make it softer, if you want.
dajes87
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dajes87 »

I went with the purina and she loves it! :D
Samu
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Sam, here is the label for Purina Pro Plan puppy formula...
Are you sure you want to recommend this stuff, it's predominately grain...corn at that???? This stuff is at great risk of developing afflatoxins from all the mycotoxins it contains.
I may have to call Merlin and tell on you! :wink: :lol:

Purina Pro Plan (puppy)
Ingredients:
Lamb, brewers rice, chicken meal, corn gluten meal, ground yellow corn, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), corn bran, oat meal, dried egg product, dried beet pulp, animal digest, calcium phosphate, fish oil, potassium chloride, calcium carbonate, salt, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, choline chloride, Vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.

Guaranteed Analysis %:
Crude Protein (minimum) 28
Crude Fat (minimum) 18
Moisture (maximum) 12
Crude Fiber (maximum) 3
Linoleic Acid (minimum) 1.6
Calcium (Ca) (minimum) 1.1

I would have to recommend Solid Gold or Orijens Brand dry kibble. In canned food, I recommend Solid Gold brand and WEllness Brand canned meats.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

I feed the chicken in the puppy food, the puppies I have do just fine on it, and if they had anymore energy or stamina I guess I would just have to shoot myself, because I have a hard time dealing with them as it is. :lol:

I also mix the Selects in, so they are only getting about half regular ProPlan.

Please don't tell Merlin on me, I might get a paddling and a bone with raw meat on it. :lol:

I would like to try some of that Orijen food, did you ever find a place to get some? I might drive two hours each way, but I am not driving 5 or 6 hours each way to get some food to try.
Sam

bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Sam,

I wouldn't want you to get smacked with a raw meaty bone!!! :lol:
Since there isn't a store in Alabama that carries the Orijens brand kibble, I ordered it online and got it shipped to my front door.
Here's the web address to the online store...
It's the closest to you and me, except for one store
in Florida. The Florida store was more expensive,
so this is the address to the Illinois store.

http://www.K9cuisine.com

They have free shipping on the 29 lb bag.
I ordered the fish recipe.
As I was finishing up a bag of Solid Gold Hunden-Flocken,
I mixed in the Orijens to wean my furkids over.
My Jap Chin and Shih Tzu picked out the Orijens and left the Solid Gold for Colonel! :lol: He'll eat anything! :lol:
Fortunately, they didn't get upset tummies! :lol:
I ordered the Orijens during the time we were having record breaking high tempertures. I might think twice before doing that again. I don't want the kibble exposed to high temps during transport. As soon as I got it, I re-bagged it
into smaller zip loc bags and refrigerated it to help preserve the probiotics and omega oils.
I've noticed that my furkids are satisfied with less food.
Colonel eats about 2 1/2 cups per day of Orijen.
Lately, I haven't felt like shopping for raw foods,
(don't tell Merlin) so, all they have been getting for the last 3 weeks is Orijen's brand kibble and Colonel eats about 1/2 to 1 cup less than when on Solid Gold.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

I see why they give free shipping, that stuff is way too expensive, my food bill would be over double. I would have to get a third job just to make up for the extra expense. I never buy ProPlan and Selects at full price either, I wait till it's on sale and buy a bunch, or go to the shows and buy it. If you can figure out a way to buy direct in large quantity at a reasonable price I might give it a go. Besides all of that, they were out of what I would feed. :shock:
Sam