Have any of you seen this?

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Have any of you seen this?

Post by cheriekynb »

And what do you think?

CHOW CHOW
Weight Standards: m/f - average 70 lbs.
Height Standards: m/f - average 20 inches
Coat: long, dense, double, single color
Common Ailments: hot spots, eye problems, ear infections

The Chow Chow originated in China (Tibet) where it was raised as a meat source for human consumption. This was done on a scale that can be compared to the sheep ranches of New Zealand or the cattle ranches in our own country today.

Since the Chow Chow was used as a meat source for human consumption, it was fed a diet of grains and vegetables. One indicator of the Chow Chow's development as a vegetarian is the difference in the mouth, jaw, and tooth structure from those breeds that developed as "meat eaters." For example, the Chow has a set of teeth that are flatter than the sharp incisors found in the carnivorous breeds.

The Chow has two other distinctive physical features that are unique to this breed of dog; first, a blue-black tongue, and second, a lack of angulation in the lower joint of the hindlimbs.

The primary food sources of the Chow Chow's native environment were rice, wheat, soy, and some occasional fish. Thus, a blend of these foods would be the ideal diet for the Chow Chow. Conversely, the worst blend would contain beef, horse meat, lamb, and poultry or any of their by-products.

Just wondering what you thought :)
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Depends on what the person was selling that wrote the article.

70lb average weight? that would be some pretty hefty Chows walking around, Guess it would be a good weight if people were still eating Chows.

rice, wheat, soy, and some occasional fish. that a good diet if we were still eating our Chows?, think that's what they feed ducks and chickens to fatten them up for the table.

The Chow Chow originated in China (Tibet) That's becoming questionable and with DNA test going on being proven wrong.

Wheat? All I have ever read and experienced for 10 years is Wheat and Chows don't mix unless you want to raise them on Cortisone and meds.

They did get the blue/black tongue right though
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by cheriekynb »

It was just something I found.

Layla, am I reading into it or what? :? :x
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Cheri, you are the internest search queen huh!

I'd go with the wheat being way wrong as well & I'd be careful of the commerically manufactured soy but the fish & rice sounds great to me. I've been trying the canned Candidea lamb, fish & rice with Millie's kibble & it looks good to me
Thank you Elodie!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Yeah if I could find a Fish and rice type meal i might try that out with her normal Lamb and rice she might like that. which reminds me to go out and get pekoe some omega 3, Don't think she has ever had any type of fish that might be why she like to roll around in fish guts when I walk her at the harbor. Walk her into an area where they clean fish, to Pekoe thats paradise.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Pekoe too Jeff! Millie loves the fish market in Seattle & would drink the run off if I let her :roll: She'd hang out for all day if I could stand the smell :-8
Thank you Elodie!
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by cheriekynb »

I haven't found a fish yet that Sid will eat!!! He loves his Omega capsules though, silly Chow!!
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

Jasmine won't stand still long enough for me to measure her, but I'm pretty sure she is taller than 20" and at her last check up she was 68 lb.
Jeff she is a chunk! Vet says she's ok in proportion to the rest of her body do I'm not too worried yet.
She wins our wrestling matches - brushing, ear meds, antihistamines, etc. If Jaz says no, well...I loose. :oops:

The food I give them is Natural Choice lamb and rice formula. Seems to work ok for them. Haven't tried her on fish.
Jaz usually eats anything except lettuce so would probably love it.
~ Sally
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

I'm sure they fatten up chows in the same way beef are fattened for food consuption.
They are put in extremely small quarters, where they can get no excercise, this could account for the lack of anulation in the hind quarters. Then, they are fed grains not only to fatten, but it helps to make the meat tender. Grains were fed with the ultimate goal being to butcher and consume as a meat source. Not for the longevity of the chow's life.
NOW, I don't like thinking about this, but I responded simply to help put to rest the idea of giving chows grains.
UNLESS you are going to eat your chow...do not give it grains!

Hopefully, no one will read that article and be confused by it, and start feeding their chows grain!! :shock: :shock:
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
Mika's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mika's Mom »

I know our Mika is between 58-62lbs at her heaviest 62lbs...she loves her fishoil omega-3 oile we put on her food, her coat also seems so much nicer after we started that too! :)

As for being bred to be eaten? I have only heard that one other time...most articles I have read indicate that they were used as more of a guard-type dog or to pull carts than anything...??

Interessting though :) We can take it all with a grain of salt I guess ?:)
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

They generally weigh between 45 and 75 pounds. Some are a little lighter, then I have seen a couple of monsters, one that went over 120 pounds, I have seen several over 100. My heaviest one right now is 86, my lightest adult is 61, but I have a younger one that may not go much over 50 when she is full grown. All of mine are 16-18 inches at the withers.
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!