Almost passed out when I smelled Solid Gold Green Tripe!

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Almost passed out when I smelled Solid Gold Green Tripe!

Post by Juniper »

Since Petco now carries Solid Gold I gave their canned flavors a try. Troy will eat anything so he's excluded from the testing-major garbage disposal. (Although he's beginning to get more choosy and will not eat my spinach or parsley leaves that may fall out of my sandwiches.) Sheena is my picky eater. All flavors were bearable but then I opened a can of Green Tripe.

I almost passed out when I opened the can. In fact I'm getting nauseous just writing this and thinkin' about it. No chow, let alone any animal would want to consume this smelly stuff! I never saw two chows so voraciously satisfied and content. I don't know if I have the courage to purchase more cans and open 'em up. Maybe I should wear a face mask but then their breaths are choice after eating it. yuck.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Jennifer & Sheena
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Ummm, yes. The green cow (or green tripe) is advertised as an appetite increaser. It is used to help dogs with poor appetite eat more. It is especially good for dogs who are sick, (like my Darkwind was) and the horrible smell is from the natural enzymes in the tripe itself, which help replace some that a sick dog may have lost.

I think most chows and other dogs would like it. but most don't need it. Try the other SG canned foods, lamb and barley and such. My chows love it and it doesn't smell as bad to humans.

And just think if you have to give them any medication you can mix it with the green cow and they'll eat it all up and not notice...hehehe, I'm a sneaky mom.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Wow, oh my gosh! I've never seen that one, I use the ones Victory mentioned. But I know not to get it if we come across it unless I really need it! :D
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

There's more on green tripe in the archives too, other brands of tripe, etc.

It's also available as a dehydrated treat, "Petzyme" from Solid Gold.
Sylvia
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Almost passed out when I smelled Solid Gold Green Tripe!

Post by Sylvia »

Juniper wrote:Since Petco now carries Solid Gold ...
Did this just happen recently? I'm over in and last time I checked, maybe 6 months ago, I didn't find it at my local Petco.
Sorry little off topic.
Last edited by Sylvia on Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Juniper »

Just happened the beginning of this year that Petco on Arden Way, Sacramento, carries Solid Gold. Chances are their other stores do as well.

Unfortunately, the only Solid Gold canned that my chows care for is the Green Cow-Green Beef Tripe. They will pick at the canned Lamb but it mostly hits the garbage. My picky-picky chow chows. :roll:
Jennifer & Sheena
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

They've carried it for quite a long time in the Bay Area. I think prior to 1999 even. I believe that is where I purchased Zhu's first taste of it. I purchased in 1999 after I read about it on this site. The buyers for the store probably weigh out their customer needs and preferences before they do the bulk purchase. Your areas probably have customers who are now searching and asking for higher quality products; plus, the store buyers are probably going through data from their competitor stores and noticing an increase in customer purchase of higher quality products and want to get those niche customers into the PetCo stores. For personal reasons, I for one don't shop at PetCo anymore. We have better stores here so I'm lucky to be able to have a variety of places to look for stuff the site members share.

But thanks for FYI'ing us on how vile the smell of this green cow tripe is. I'm pretty sure that's one fine food Miss PB can not order on the menu... unless she can figure a way to use a can opener herself!
Sylvia
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sylvia »

Juniper wrote:Just happened the beginning of this year that Petco on Arden Way, Sacramento, carries Solid Gold. Chances are their other stores do as well.
This is good news. Thanks!! I'll check my local store. If they don't carry it, at least I know one other store that does.
Last edited by Sylvia on Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Sorry for the late reply, it's taking me a while to work my way through all the forums. Did you know that you can get solid gold on-line. It's pretty resonably priced as well (compared to my local pet stores anyway)

Hope that this is useful

http://www.dog.com/search.asp?SKW=solid ... Dog%20Food
Thank you Elodie!
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

kiwani wrote:There's more on green tripe in the archives too, other brands of tripe, etc.

It's also available as a dehydrated treat, "Petzyme" from Solid Gold.
Kiwani,
Thanks, I didn't know about Petzyme. I'll try that, I do get tired of making treats sometimes. An alternative would be nice.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
SWANCIN
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by SWANCIN »

Layla wrote:Sorry for the late reply, it's taking me a while to work my way through all the forums. Did you know that you can get solid gold on-line. It's pretty resonably priced as well (compared to my local pet stores anyway)

Hope that this is useful

http://www.dog.com/search.asp?SKW=solid ... Dog%20Food
Hi Layla, the base price on the 15# of SG WolfKing was better than I pay at a local place, but lordy, the shipping costs were high! :shock:
Cindy & Kodi

I Wanna Go Chase Something!!!!!
Compliments of SWEETPEA - Banner Artiste Extraordinaire

Dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=36558
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Really? They always get you somehow i guess :(
Thank you Elodie!
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

How funny. I was just talking to a friend about ordering Solid Gold online. She came back to me with the figures... a bag cost something like $21.00 and shipping was $19.00. Way too much!

Layla, I love your signature photo!
chowdad
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chowdad »

Thanks for bringing up green tripe Juniper, I found a place here that sells it and George is enjoing his first dish right now. Smell seems to really stimulate his appetite so I figured it might work. The lady that helped me also gave me a bunch of sample bags of kibble so I can try and figure out which he will eat. I am always delighted to see him eat even more if it's actually dog food. He has been on a spaghetti and meat kick lately but his kicks never last long.

I think it smells like the drain in the floor of a slaughter house, but George heart wants what it wants.

Have a nice day,
John
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

chowdad wrote:Thanks for bringing up green tripe Juniper, I found a place here that sells it and George is enjoing his first dish right now. Smell seems to really stimulate his appetite so I figured it might work. The lady that helped me also gave me a bunch of sample bags of kibble so I can try and figure out which he will eat. I am always delighted to see him eat even more if it's actually dog food. He has been on a spaghetti and meat kick lately but his kicks never last long.

I think it smells like the drain in the floor of a slaughter house, but George heart wants what it wants.

Have a nice day,
John
And that's exactly why they like it, it is the ripest smelling food I've EVER smelled in nearly 47 years of having animals. But my Darkwind ate it when he wouldn't touch anything else.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

Juniper wrote:
I almost passed out when I opened the can. In fact I'm getting nauseous just writing this and thinkin' about it. No chow, let alone any animal would want to consume this smelly stuff! I never saw two chows so voraciously satisfied and content. I don't know if I have the courage to purchase more cans and open 'em up. Maybe I should wear a face mask but then their breaths are choice after eating it. yuck.

Dogs are not humans you know. Just because we don't like the smell doesn't make it 'no good' to a dog. We also don't like sniffing butts or roadkill, but dogs certainly love doing that.

It's a heavenly smell to dogs and green tripe is a heavenly addition to any canine's diet. By feeding green tripe regularly you can stop giving any type of additive or alternative vitamin/chemical you may be giving your dog now, and that includes any yogurt product.

Green tripe is more than species appropriate and actually your dog could live off of only that one food, very well, for the rest of their life. ... so please... don't let the smell deter you. It's an excellent, nutritious food for your canine.
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

I took all your suggestions and decided to buy the Solid Gold Wolf Cub puppy food AND the Green Tripe! Sid and I went to EVERY pet store in Santa Rosa (ok, 3).. We finally found it at a Feed Store. He's STILL picky and will only eat about a cup of it then walk away. He REFUSES to eat the Wolf Cub dry. Last night I finally scrambled an egg white, mixed it his food and he ate it.. Just a cup though. PICKY PICKY CHOW!!
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

cheriekynb wrote:I took all your suggestions and decided to buy the Solid Gold Wolf Cub puppy food AND the Green Tripe! Sid and I went to EVERY pet store in Santa Rosa (ok, 3).. We finally found it at a Feed Store. He's STILL picky and will only eat about a cup of it then walk away. He REFUSES to eat the Wolf Cub dry. Last night I finally scrambled an egg white, mixed it his food and he ate it.. Just a cup though. PICKY PICKY CHOW!!
We'll have to give him some sort of award or ribbon for having trained you so well in so short a time! LOL
MM
Better Yet ! Adopt!
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Juniper »

Merlin wrote:
Juniper wrote:

Dogs are not humans you know. Just because we don't like the smell doesn't make it 'no good' to a dog. We also don't like sniffing butts or roadkill, but dogs certainly love doing that.

It's a heavenly smell to dogs and green tripe is a heavenly addition to any canine's diet. By feeding green tripe regularly you can stop giving any type of additive or alternative vitamin/chemical you may be giving your dog now, and that includes any yogurt product.

Green tripe is more than species appropriate and actually your dog could live off of only that one food, very well, for the rest of their life. ... so please... don't let the smell deter you. It's an excellent, nutritious food for your canine.
Sheena and Troy were so overjoyed about the tripe that it has been a regular part of their diet since I wrote that post. However, now I'm mixing BARF diet with their food to make the transition to a raw diet. I don't like the money I'm spending at the vets.

I had 8 cats on a raw diet and never needed medical intervention from a vet until they were close to death in their late teens and early 20's. I do believe raw is the way to go even for my chows.

:laughloud: You reminded me of my cat Sunshine who had a perfumey butt-it was actually an enjoyable scent. But I haven't been smellin' chow butts! :shock: Especially since Sheena and Troy have decided that I'm to clean that area for them! :roll: I'm in chowmaid status in this house. :wink:
Jennifer & Sheena
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

I'm mixing BARF diet with their food to make the transition to a raw diet.
Good for you for switching to raw... although there is no transition to raw... just serve the raw and keep going from there. It's not really a good idea to mix the two because both are digested differently.
Thumbs Up!
MM
Better Yet ! Adopt!
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

Merlin wrote:
cheriekynb wrote:I took all your suggestions and decided to buy the Solid Gold Wolf Cub puppy food AND the Green Tripe! Sid and I went to EVERY pet store in Santa Rosa (ok, 3).. We finally found it at a Feed Store. He's STILL picky and will only eat about a cup of it then walk away. He REFUSES to eat the Wolf Cub dry. Last night I finally scrambled an egg white, mixed it his food and he ate it.. Just a cup though. PICKY PICKY CHOW!!
We'll have to give him some sort of award or ribbon for having trained you so well in so short a time! LOL
MM
:lol:.. I JUST read this post! Thanks Merlin, Sid told me to tell you that it was EASY, my Momma is a PUSH over when it comes to FOOD. LOL..
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Recently I bought a can of the Green Tripe, even thought I said in a different post that I would stay away from this blend (since the odor was so foul). Well, I bought it for Miss PB to give her a little break from the cheese sprinkles she requests for each meal. I didn't think the smell was that bad. Actually, I thought they might have reformulated it since I didn't detect a hint of snasty smell.... until this morning when I was walking to work, I noticed a very familiar scent. It was Green Tripe! I have a real bad cold right now, so to smell Green Tripe, I was thinking oh geez, I didn't get the stuff on my over coat now, did I?

What was it I was smelling... Green Tripe = San Francisco Sewer System!!! I guess my nose is so immune to that smell, I didn't realize when I open the Green Tripe can, there really is a gastly odour in the room from it! But, Miss PB sure does like it!
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

You all made me laugh very much reading your posts! =D= :lol:
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/