Puppy Food

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

CodasMum
Rank 0
Rank 0

Puppy Food

Post by CodasMum »

Our vet recommended either MediCal or Science Diet food for Coda. Anyone have any thoughts about these brands of food?
CodasMum

Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I've never heard of MediCal but here is the ingredient list for Hills Science Diet Puppy food:

Ingredients
Ground Whole Grain Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal, Soybean Meal, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Dried Beet Pulp, Chicken Liver Flavor, Dicalcium Phosphate, Brewers Rice, Fish Oil, Flaxseed, Soybean Oil, Iodized Salt, Choline Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, vitamins (L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

As you can see the first ingredient and therefore the largest is Corn. The next is chicken by-product meal. Which is basically all the parts of chicken that humans don't eat, mixed together, dried and then pulverized. Basically this food is chicken flavored corn with some fat, (animal fats) a few vitamins and minerals added and salt, (which dogs don't need in their diets)

What is Coda eating now? I'm feeding Dreamdancer Solid Gold Wolfcub and Millenium, I (mix the two) Both he and Firesong are eating them and I'm very happy with his over all growth, and health. He has good strong bones, all his teeth were in at 6 months are white and he has a really nice scissors bite. His coat is beautiful, thick and soft, his eyes are bright and he smells wonderful, (believe or not I've found that poor nutrition contributes to bad smelling animals).

Here are the ingredients to Solid Gold Wolf Cub

Bison | Salmon Meal | Brown Rice | Millet | Cracked Pearled Barley | Rice Bran | Canola Oil | Flaxseed Oil | Amaranth | Blueberries | Yucca Schidigera Extract | Carotene | Choline Chloride | Vitamin E Supplement | Iron Proteinate | Zinc Proteinate | Copper Proteinate | Manganese Proteinate | Potassium Iodide | Thiamine Mononitrate | Ascorbic Acid | Vitamin A Supplement | Biotin | Calcium Panthothenate | Selenomethionine | Pyridoxine Hydrochloride | Vitamin B12 Supplement | Riboflavin | Vitamin D Supplement | Folic Acid |

And the ingredients to Solid Gold Milleniumn

Beef | Beef Meal | Cracked Pearled Barley | Brown Rice | Millet | Rice Bran | Canola Oil | Menhaden Fish Meal | Flaxseed Oil | Parsley | Thyme | Dried Seaweed Meal | Dried Cranberries | Dried Sweet Potatoes | Dried Apples | Dried Carrots | Dried Chicory Root | Carotene | Choline Chloride | Vitamin E Supplement | Iron Proteinate | Zinc Proteinate | Copper Proteinate | Manganese Proteinate | Potassium Iodide | Thiamine Mononitrate | Ascorbic Acid | Vitamin A Supplement | Biotin | Calcium Panthothenate | Sodium Selenite | Pyridoxine Hydrochloride | Vitamin B12 Supplement | Riboflavin | Vitamin D Supplement | Folic Acid |

You will notice, no tocopherols, no animal fats, no flavorings other than those from the ingredients themselves like the dried apples. There are no meat-by products, and all the oils are named and most of the vitamins/minerals listed are the same ones found in human cereals crackers and other human food products.

I mix the two foods because Wolf Cub is for large breed puppies and Dreamdancer isn't really a large breed he's a medium. Also Firesong insists on eating what he's eating and she needs the extra calories in the Millenia formula. But your Coda might do just as well on Wolf Cub by itself as he's going to be a big boy. Or you might want to mix Wolf Cub with their regular puppy food to increase the calcium level a little.

Go to their website and take a look, (okay now I sound like Jeff about Nutro) but I'm really, really happy about this food I have replaced my home cooked food with Solid Gold, but it took me a while to find a food I was happy about using instead of home cooking their food.

http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!