2 puppies, should I feed big one more?

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Stace123
Rank 0
Rank 0

2 puppies, should I feed big one more?

Post by Stace123 »

Hi!
I have 2 puppies (brother and sister)
When born, the boy was double her size, they're currently nearly 10 weeks,
we have fed them around the same amount so far which has been ok, but we have noticed that she leaves a little, and he's looking for more,
He is much much bigger than her, hes so big when he lays on his back that he turtles himself and takes a while to get back up,
One part of me thinks he was always much bigger and so probably needs more and that's why he's sniffing for more,
But then the other side of me is concerned for his weight in the future and wonders should he be having less if anything?
Do you have any suggestions?
After he's sniffed for more food he doesn't cry or moan for more, he just doesn't seem as satisfied as her and is hate to think I'm leaving him without food. They're fed 3-4 times a day.
I haven't had them weighed yet but she is in size large harnesses, he is in XL
The food they eat is - Arden grange, we fill their little bowls and we also add some chicken in which they absolutely love.
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: 2 puppies, should I feed big one more?

Post by Constantina »

My chestnut was the biggest in her litter of 4 girls. When her siblings would abandon their food because they have had enough, she would scavenge their bowls and munch on their leftovers. She was never put into the feeding area first because she would chow down two servings by the time the others were in there. Vet told breeders to feed her till she has had enough but only on designated meal times. So they let her keep on scavenging from her sisters till I finally got her. At six months she had more portions but divided to 3 meals instead of 4. At one year till present at almost 4 yrs old she gets twice a day
Annabellam
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Annabellam »

I think i would also be concerned about it becoming over weight. I know siblings can be different but one can get a little bit worried about that. Stick to designated meals and also look out for the girl. why doesn't it ever finish? Does it have any health issues or is it just a bad feeder. Feeding can be tricky and i hope that both of your puppies are okay.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Feeding recommendations are always based on size/weight. With any reputable dog food they will specify...a 40 lb dog should be fed x amount...a 20 lb dog should be fed y amount. Follow those instructions as a base. Then observe YOUR dogs. Chows do come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Look at the dogs...where are they height wise at the shoulders, check the bone structure. A 30 inch Chow with heavy bone structure doesn't have the same diet need as a 20 inch tall Chow with thin boning. Check the belly, it shouldn't be rubbing the ground when he walks...in fact any belly drag in a chow is bad...lol. Feel the sides and check the ribs. You should be able to feel the ribs beneath the fur and skin. You should never see a Chow's ribs, even in a Smooth Chow. If you can find the ribs with a simple hand check, then it is probably overweight.
Pattaxoxo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Pattaxoxo »

Feeding can be tricky and i hope that both of your puppies are okay.

Gclub
gclub มือถือ