How much to feed Walter with Orijen Adult

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

kevindd992002
Rank 1
Rank 1

How much to feed Walter with Orijen Adult

Post by kevindd992002 »

So Walter is around 1.5 years now and I decided to switch from Orijen Puppy Large to Orijen Adult. He's 16Kg and based on Orijen's feeding guide he needs around 324Kg when he was eating Puppy Large. But with the Adult, he just needs around 200Kg. That's a lot less and he seems to want more after he finishes his meals now. I know it's recommended to take any dog food manufacturer feeding guide with a grain of salt and instead use your eyes and sense of touch to see if your dog needs more or what not but with Chows it's really hard to tell, right? I mean, I can feel his ribs but he was like that even before. No matter how heavy he eats (this is only occasionally happening because this one is a picky eater), he never gets past 16Kg.

Any help please? Thanks.
kevindd992002
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: How much to feed Walter with Orijen Adult

Post by kevindd992002 »

Anyone care to help? Is this forum pretty much dead already? Calling out Rory's Dad.
FurParent
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by FurParent »

Would you mind if you change your pet food? I don't have idea of what kind of nutrients your chow get on that food.
kevindd992002
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kevindd992002 »

I actually do because I just got this variety and I'm reading good stuff with Orijen, sorry. I thought Orijen is well-known in this forum also?
chunkymonkeys
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chunkymonkeys »

With my chunky monkeys, their appetites vary. So if Boo is hungrier than Shima, and vice versa, I feed them extra. There are days when they aren't into eating (extremely rare!) but they seem to self regulate their intake. See how Walter does if he still seems hungry, and give him a bit more. He's still a young Chow, like a teenager needing more food. I hope this helps.
kevindd992002
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kevindd992002 »

He was diagnosed as anorexic by the vet and gave him some meds. After taking them for two weeks, he started building up energy and is very excited about his food now! I'm so glad that he seems to be hungry always and yes he wants more after consuming the recommended serving per meal. I don't want giving him more because I think that will disrupt his food discipline, won't it?
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Sorry Kevin, been away for a bit. Lots of shows and other stuff going on. How is he doing?
kevindd992002
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kevindd992002 »

No problem at all. He's finishing his food now every single time and wants more! So him being sick for 2 days was actually a blessing in disguise. So I was really wondering if I need to feed him more or what? Because he tends to want more nowadays.
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

Hi kevin! Walter is still growing . At that same age and weight, I fed Chestnut twice a day 1 1/4 cup each time so total of 2 1/2 cups a day. I noticed she lost weight on Orijen too as she became more active and was always hungry. So go feed him till he is full. His metabolism is still pretty fast especially if he isn't neutered. They grow and fill out until 2 years old.
Unfortunately, turns out she is allergic to fish and chicken so i switched her to Go natural! Turkey recipe. Chestnut at 3 and 31kg aka 70 lbs. is now on 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cup a day total as she now has to lose weight. I put her on Go! natural Venison with less protein and fat.