Help...Puppy low protein food

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Baloo_Pink
Rank 0
Rank 0

Help...Puppy low protein food

Post by Baloo_Pink »

Hiya, I have a 6 month old puppy chow chow. Can anyone tell me a low protein diet food that I can feed her. As she is on science plan chicken medium puppy that the breeder had put her on. I have done some research and it says chows should have a low protein diet and that food is fairly high. Her coat is smelling pretty bad also could this be bad because of this high protein in her diet,? Thanks in advance
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Help...Puppy low protein food

Post by Constantina »

Smelly coat is most likely a demodex mange problem. If she is allergic to her dogfood she could be scratching a lot. My solution is opposite to low protein. Remember Chows are prone to obesity, diabetes and skin allergies. They are dogs so they need protein in their diet. Low protein food usually contain corn wheat soy and a lot of grains which chows are usually allergic to leading to skin problems and the disease listed above. Up to a year old i fed my little girl Orijen puppy. The high protein has given her more energy and muscle mass instead of fat. If You deprive her of protein now she may not hit full growth potential. After a year old i switched her to go! Potato free and grain free turkey recipe which has 30% protein. My minimum protein for my chow is food with 28% protein.
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

My low protein recommendations are Acana limited ingredient lamb or duck or pork. Also go! Sensitivity and shine limited ingredient duck, venison and salmon. These are protein lower than 28% which is my absolute minimum.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I guess I would question the low protein diet plan. I actually go in the other direction to some degree, especially with pups. In my opinion, you want the proteins to ensure proper bone and muscle development. As they age, you should probably dial it back a bit. I agree with Constantina. Avoid grain, corn filler, and byproducts. So that leaves you with proteins and vegetables. I actually like a food that has sweet potato. My dogs love bison products. And it seems to like them...lol. Not too familiar with Science Plan, but keep in mind that breeders are usually going to feed the best/most expensive product. They are feeding for volume. If you are going to switch, introduce it slowly to minimize stomach upset, but there are definitely better foods on the market. Corn, wheat, soy, etc are usually fillers and not something your dog would normally eat. They do make the food cheaper to produce. And yes, those ingredients can be allergens. Itchy skin, hot spots, or even mange can be a problem with grain rich foods.
FurParent
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by FurParent »

Healthe dogs typically don't have smelly coat, but unhealthy dogs might have a health issue. Chows have natural good smell so it's intriguing why yours have smelly coat. Maybe his diet (being low in protein) is the culprit. Remember that pups need at least 28% of protein consumption as they are still growing and needs a lot of protein. Keep in mind that if you plan to change your chow's diet after reading this post and everyone else's posts, transition it. Hope everything will be fine.