When to stop puppy food variant

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

kevindd992002
Rank 1
Rank 1

When to stop puppy food variant

Post by kevindd992002 »

When do I stop treating a dog as a puppy and switch him to the adult variant of his food? I'm reading conflicting answers to this but I just want to know your opinion on this matter.

Thanks.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: When to stop puppy food variant

Post by Rory's Dad »

Thought I answered this question, my bad.

You can make the switch pretty safely at 1 year. I tend to recommend 18 months though, especially with Chows. They have a slower growth rate and much of the bone mass and cartilage is still forming even after a year. Some brands of the dog food have even started to market some 'young adult' varieties for this age group.
kevindd992002
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kevindd992002 »

Oh ok. Honestly, what I'm doing right now (as recommended by the manufacturer themselves) is to feed the adult variant to my dog but with amount (per day) that is equivalent to that of the puppy variant recommendation. This is because there is no puppy variant of TOTW available here in our country. I wouldn't think that would hurt because the puppy variant has more nutrients in it anyway, so feeding the adult variant at the puppy-recommended amount will actually provide Walter a little less body nutrients compared to if I have him at the puppy variant.

So technically, my question should've been when do I switch to the adult amount of adult variant food. Based on your answer, do you think 18 months would still be most effective? And yes, I want to make Walter grow bigger as he is just weighing 14 Kgs. @ 1 year old right now.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Still trying to wrap my head around that...kind of convoluted.

Every manufacturer I have seen makes an amount recommendation based on weight. That would be regardless of the age of the dog. So, if a dog weighs 50 lbs, you feed the age appropriate formula the amount stated for that weight. Many brands will also separate their formulas based on dog type...TOTW produces puppy formula, large breed, small breed, extra small breed. Many brands also market a senior product.

This is because the nutritional needs within each of these categories differs. Puppies require additional vitamins, proteins, etc to assist with bone development. Smaller breeds tend to have a less muscular build, and high protein levels aren't needed, and can upset the digestive process. Seniors need way less protein, and probably benefit from vitamins and additives that address joint health, liver functions, etc.

I don't know the specifics of what is going into each formula, but adjusting the amount of the wrong formula doesn't make sense. Regardless of whether you adjusted the feeding amounts, he wasn't getting the intended mix of ingredients. Adjusting now, just because he is a year old, isn't going to change that.

So, according to my conversion chart, he is about 30 lbs. That is on the small size for a male chow. BUT!!! Don't rely on weight alone. If he is small in height/bone structure, that may actually be a healthy weight FOR HIM. I wouldn't think that feeding him until he blows up to 50 lbs when he is small boned, with an athletic build (as opposed to more stock) would be a good option. Consult the vet if you feel he is under-nourished and adjust his diet with their advice. You can't change his make-up/structure at this point. A healthy diet could add some muscle mass, but you don't want to 'pudge' him up just for the sake of meeting a weight goal.
kevindd992002
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kevindd992002 »

This is what I exactly thought. It's just that the vets from TOTW recommended me to do this and I just followed. I'm actually not feeding him more than recommended just for the sake of reaching a target weight. I just want the volume that's best for him. Let me make it simpler and I'll give it out the actual volumes I'm using:

1.) Here's what I have: High Prairie Canine® Formula with Roasted Bison & Roasted Venison. For Walter's weight range, the recommended volume is 2 - 2 1/3 cups per day
2.) That also has a puppy version and recommends 2 1/3 - 3 cups per day
3.) I only see one TOTW that is for small breeds and all other else don't have the label of being for "large" or "extra small" breeds so I assumed that both are for all breed sizes
4.) So currently, what I give Walter is 2 1/3 - 3 cups per day of the NON-puppy version since the puppy version is not available here

So with what you said above, do you recommend just giving him 2 - 2 1/3 cups per day of the NON-puppy version since giving him the puppy variant volume recommendation is useless? Is that understanding correct?
kevindd992002
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kevindd992002 »

It seems that a few months back all of the TOTW variants are labeled as "For All Life Stages" which made it confusing because why produce a puppy variant of the same formula if everything (including the puppy variant) is advertised as "For All Life Stages". They modified that and that label is only present for the puppy variant. The adult (non-puppy) variant says that it is for "maintenance"
kevindd992002
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kevindd992002 »

@Rory's Dad

Any other thoughts on this please?

Thanks.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Sorry Kevin, I really have no idea on what they are doing. I don't use TOTW so, I can't comment on how well the dogs would do on it. It does seem to me to be purely a marketing strategy. But not a well thought out one. There definitely should be some nutrient variations between the formulas. Puppies require additional proteins. Senior dogs need more bone and cartiledge support. Overweight dogs might need a 'maintenance' formula that is less calorie, etc.

I agree its confusing. Seems like they are just packaging the same food in different ways.
kevindd992002
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kevindd992002 »

Ok. But if these are really two different variants, what is the disadvantage of feeding the adult kibble using the amount designed for the puppy kibble? More food would equate to more nutrients as well, right? And that would at least tie the adult food with the puppy food, no?
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

If the nutrients needed for each life stage were equal, then the answer would be yes, but in my opinion, it is not the same.
kevindd992002
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kevindd992002 »

Ok but am I doing more damage if I feed him that way?
Pattaxoxo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Pattaxoxo »

You can make the switch pretty safely at 1 year. I tend to recommend 18 months though, especially with Chows. They have a slower growth rate and much of the bone mass and cartilage is still forming even after a year. Some brands of the dog food have even started to market some 'young adult' varieties for this age group.

Gclub
gclub มือถือ
คาสิโนออนไลน์