Help! My chow Simba stopped eating?

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Davido324
Rank 0
Rank 0

Help! My chow Simba stopped eating?

Post by Davido324 »

My chow chow, Simba didn't eat his food since a few weeks ago when we got new dog food for him.
We are trying to bribe him to eat by putting human food such as rice, fish, and meat.
Could anyone tell me how i should go about this and/or if I should bring him to a vet?

I would appreciate it if someone told me how i should feed my Simba better as i am very worried for his health.
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Help! My chow Simba stopped eating?

Post by maikinda »

Is there some reason you changed dog foods? If your dog is not eating for weeks you have him checked out by your vet. If you are looking for a good dog food check out this website http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/brand/ They have great information on lots of different kinds of dog food.

Hope this will help.

Laura
Attachments
Micah tag.jpg
Micah tag.jpg (12.41 KiB) Viewed 7460 times
Davido324
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Davido324 »

Yes, we changed our dog food because we couldn't afford the dog food we used to buy, Royal Canin, so we bought food made by our local shopping department.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I think you already have your answer. Chows are very sensitive to the ingredients in the food. You absolutely must feed a good quality food without filler.

Even changing quality foods too quickly can be a problem and must be introduced slowly to avoid digestive issues.
Davido324
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Davido324 »

Ok, i read online that if we buy the food he used to eat, then slowly add some to his food, and by the end of the week, he would have grown into his new food, do you think i should do that?
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by maikinda »

Many times feeding a cheaper dog food doesn't save money. You usually have to feed more plus you have more vet bills. If there is no way you can feed his old food, try to find one with ingredients that are similar that you can afford. Anytime you change diet you should always do it slowly.

Laura
Attachments
Micah tag.jpg
Micah tag.jpg (12.41 KiB) Viewed 7418 times
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

What brand are you feeding him now? He may not want it because it has something that makes him feel itchy or bad. Eliminate anything with corn, wheat, soy and gluten as these are top allergens. Acana is cheaper than royal canin and so is Canidae. Buy from a specialized pet store not the grocery or department store ones. Those are full of fillers and have very little protein to sustain a chow's fur, muscle tone and skin health.