Recipe Questions & Information

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

MurphysMaster
Rank 0
Rank 0

Recipe Questions & Information

Post by MurphysMaster »

Murphy is 4 months and does not seem to be reacting well to his food.
I have been feeding him the suggested amount of Wellness Complete Health Puppy food.

He has diarrhea almost every day and I've been noticing he nibbles his feet, scratch his muzzle and neck, sparingly.
Does this sound food allergy related? He is not on any medication.

I would like to feed him proper balanced, home cooked food.
I've done some reading and found a few recipes posted on here by Bama and sit_by_the_beach, which are from 2007...
So far, I like most of the ingredients and supplements in Bama's Burger recipe, but I would slow cook the ingredients listed.
I'm not sure if I completely convinced on the RAW food diet...

Does anyone have any NEW recipes they've tried out with beneficial results?
Is it important to use low amounts of lean meat vs protein rich meat like gizzards?
What is an appropriate amount of daily vitamins and minerals? (when adding certain ingredients, I don't want to over supplement and don't want to use a multi-vitamin)
How much to feed at certain age/weight?

Further in my reading I found some useful information:
"Too much protein damages the kidneys. It causes kidney and bladder stones, bad breath, gout, joint problems and osteoporosis.
Lack of salt leaches calcium from the bones and causes joint problems, arthritis, digestive problems and dehydration.
Too little fat prevents absorption of essential nutrients, stunts growth, compromises immunity, increases risk of cancer, and causes skin, hormone and breeding problems.
Long term use of cortisone based drugs supposed to address symptoms caused by poor diet have, themselves, been responsible for organ failure and death.

"A Chow Chow should never be fed more than 20% animal protein, with preference always given to white meat - fish and poultry.
80% dietary protein should come from vegetables, fish or poultry, dairy and grains. Red meat should be limited to mutton or lamb. Dairy in the diet should be balanced across eggs, cottage cheese, yoghurt, and hard cheese."

"Carrots, like beets, and a few other vegetables, contain a lot of sugar so should never really be on a canine list for eating. These are areas that could lead to diabetes, glaucoma, sards, etc. if consumed in long term.
Greens are more what you should be looking at. These are safer and offer higher quantities of needed nutrition.
Dogs do not have any type of nutritional requirement for fruits and vegetables, however if you are going to serve them they do have to be blanched, pureed to break down the cellulose, as dogs lack the enzymes necessary to digest cellulose."

"Raw Eggs Contain an enzyme called avidin, which decreases the absorption of biotin (a B vitamin). This can lead to skin and hair coat problems. Raw eggs may also contain Salmonella

"Carbs + Chows = Hot Spots. Preferably mashed sweet potatoes over brown rice.

"Calcium is of particular concern for Chow Chows because they are relatively heavy-boned for their size.
The best sources of calcium are green leafy vegetables, pulses, root vegetables, broccoli, fish and bones or bone meal."

"Chow Chows require quite a high fat content. However, animal based fats, cooked fats and old or rancid fats can interfere with absorption of important vitamins and minerals."

"Dogs can become very ill on vitamin A. Flax seed oil resolves itself as fat with dogs and non-beneficial. A correct oil with Omega 3 + 6 is fish oil such as wild salmon oil or krill oil."

"Avoid unnecessary supplementation. Over-supplementing can cause hip dysplasia. At best, it shuts down natural bodily functions and compromises the immune system"

"The chows insides, are still the original insides from 3000 years ago, and just like all other dogs, their intestines are designed to process foods in 4 hours or less and not in 8 hours like human's are. The duration of time is not long enough to inclubate e-coli or salmonella and other bacteria.

A healthy dog with a healthy dog low (acidic) pH, is more than able to eat roadkill, aged meat buried under the earth for 2 weeks, old shoes, their own feces, and any myriad of other things.

Dogs who usually succumb to salmonella generally have an elevated (alkaline) pH (usually suffer from Candida Albicans - yeast infections, hot spots etc.), leaving them wide open to a host of digestional and other sometimes serious health related problems. These dogs should never have rices/barleys/dairy/ and other related foods.

Feeding raw food together with cooked food is not desirable as both require different enzymes to be digested and both are digested differently. These should not be fed together as the cooked food WILL take up to 8 hours to digest therefore conceivably could develop salmonella."

"If you are giving bones for nutritional reasons, and you should, then almost any type of raw bone will suffice, including short ribs, necks, back of pork, lamb, beef, poultry, etc. This includes fish as well."
I also found this chart that some may find useful:
Natural Sources of
Vit A- Necessary For: skin, immunity, vision, breeding. Found in: liver, carrots, spinach, turnip, pumpkin, barley, peas, sweet potato with peel, peas, eggs, chicken meat, linseed, orange
Vit B- Necessary For: protein metabolism, blood & nerve health. Found in: liver, organ meats, soybeans, legumes, milk, barley, oats, tomato, tuna, salmon, sardines, egg yolk, chicken and mutton, broccoli, spinach
Vit C- Necessary For: immunity, building collagen. Found in: broccoli, berries, peppers
Vit D- Necessary For: bone health, calcium metabolism. Found in: sunlight, fish liver oils, egg yolk
Vit E- Necessary For: anti-oxidant, wound repair. Found in: sunflower oils, vegetable oils, cod
Vit K- Necessary For: blood, bone health. Found in: green vegetables such as spinach, collards, broccoli, cabbage, brussel sprouts, cauliflower
Magnesium- Necessary For: teeth, bone strength, heart, muscle & nerve function, energy. Found in: soybeans, green leafy vegetables, legumes, halibut, quinoa, fish, poultry, mutton
Potassium- Necessary For: blood pressure, kidney function. Found in: sweet potato, yoghurt, tuna, soy beans
Phosphorus- Necessary For: teeth, bone growth. Found in: milk, dairy, eggs, peas, grains, fish
Iron- Necessary For: metabolism of protein, blood, pregnancy & prevention of birth defects. Found in: beans, lentils, eggs, seafood, whole grains, dark leafy vegetables, tomatoes, parsley, liver
Iodine- Necessary For: growth regulator, thyroid. Found in: sea salt, sea food
Zinc- Necessary For: immunity, nerve function, breeding. Found in: red meat, some seafood, barley
Chromium- Necessary For: metabolism, energy, blood sugar. Found in: meat, poultry, fish
Fiber- Necessary For: digestion, heart disease. Found in: peas, beans, lentils, grains
Selenium- Necessary For: thyroid function. Found in: organ meats, seafoods, kelp
Calcium- Necessary For: bones, neurotransmitters. Found in: milk, yoghurt, hard cheese, spinach, salmon and seafood

I encourage everyone to contribute to this thread.