Help with food

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

danielle7770
Rank 0
Rank 0

Help with food

Post by danielle7770 »

I am so confused as to what diet I should have my 1 year old boy on. When we first got him I fed him on a rice diet but the vet told me not to do this as he wouldn't get all his nutrients, so then we changed him to good quality puppy food which went fine. Then when we changed him to the adult food it made him sick and the vet told us he must be allergic to it. So we changed to another food and now this is causing hot spots and itchy eyes and dry skin. So he must be very sensitive. I just don't know what to do next, I just want the best for him and don't want him to be in any more pain. Does anyone have any names of good dog foods for chows available in the uk, or advice on a diet I could make for him myself that would be good for him and help him.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for reading
Danielle x
kingalls

Re: Help with food

Post by kingalls »

I think you should scroll through the posts in the "Best of" section of the Nutrition, Diets and Food forum.
I don't know what a rice diet consists of...but hot spots are a fairly good indication that there might be a food allergy problem.
I don't know what is available in your area but here is what I feed my two:

Kibble - Solid Gold Hunden flocken
Wet food - Raw green tripe (I am fortunate to live in the same town of the Company that provides the grass-fed beef green tripe)
Happy Dog Food - this is a grain free DE-hydrated mix of veggies & it comes with a nutrient powder supplement. I mix this with the green tripe.
Chicken or Beef treats - I make this myself - I buy chicken breasts or beef at our local grocery store, slice it thin and then DE-hydrate it to make the treats. It takes me about 1/2 hour to cut the meat and then I DE-hydrate it over night.

You might want to review this site: http://www.dogfoodproject.com/

My Chow babies are 10 and 11 years old. They have been on this diet for a few years now. They don't have any skin issues or any other issues that look to be food related.
Hope this helps.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
AlexmenKa
Rank 0
Rank 0

Help with food

Post by AlexmenKa »

"You can't outrun a bad diet".
Concentrate on reducing calorific intake first and supplement it with exercise.
MaryHatfield
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MaryHatfield »

hello guys. I am new to this forum.
sarawatson0208
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sarawatson0208 »

Vitamin B12 is one of those vitamins you need for a number of things, including helping your nervous system and brain function properly and the creation of red blood cells. It can be found in abundance in meats and other animal products. This is great news for those of us who eat meat, but if you are a vegetarian, it makes things a little more difficult. So, we’ve done some research and present to you an introductory look at vitamin B12 foods for vegetarians. We’ll discuss vitamin B12 rich foods that fit a vegetarian diet, why you need B12 in your system, and vitamin B12 benefits. We’ll also look at a few vegan sources of B12.
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

My girl was the same. We finally settled for limited ingredient diet in her adulthood. On her third year I discovered Petcurean's Go natural sensitivity and Shine's turkey recipe and Venison Recipe. They are both grain and potato free so no more hotspots. She has a fungal yeast problem though which was solved by the right shampoo and nothing to do with diet.
Michael Shan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Michael Shan »

Good information about the diet.
Michael Shan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Michael Shan »

Good information about the diet.
Ashleebrowna22
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Ashleebrowna22 »

I have a question for you, Which is the best and perfect foods for a dog specially? Can anyone describe about this subject with details. I want to know some specific foods name for a dog.
Ashleebrowna22
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Ashleebrowna22 »

Actually also I want to know, some food name for a pregnant dog. I have a dog, and she is pregnant. So right time, which food would be better for him? I think the best food definitely need for a pregnant dog especially for keeping health as well as.
chow315
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chow315 »

each dog is different. i have 4 dogs 1 is epi that means his pancreas does not work.he has to have meds with all of his meals. i feed a good grain free to all 4and add vitamins
jlc009
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jlc009 »

What brand of food are you feeding him? You should look for something that is "complete and balanced", meaning it has all the nutrients required for optimal growth. If you are concerned that he has allergies (food allergies are actually quite uncommon in dogs) you could try a hypoallergenic formula like these: https://thedailypup.com/the-best-hypoal ... -allergies