Help! Coda stopped eating...

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

ibell
Rank 0
Rank 0

Help! Coda stopped eating...

Post by ibell »

Hello all, I am wondering if anyone can ease my concern a little bit or confirm that I should take Coda to a vet as soon as possible.
About three weeks ago I got a new bag of puppy food. Our old one is Nutro Ultra and the new bag is Nutro Natural. I started mixing them and Coda did not seem to like it as much but she has been eating the mix consistently. I never switched her completely since she was not reacting to it as well especially when the amount of Natural increased and Ultra decreased. Yesterday morning she just did not eat and kept barking at her food. For her lunch meal I mixed in a little bit more Ultra and some cheese and she ate most of it. So I decided to just go out and buy another bag of Ultra and put her back on that. I mixed a lot more Ultra at night (half and half) but she did not eat again. Same thing this morning. I have not yet tried to give her a bowl with just Ultra but when I picked up a few kibbles that are Ultra from her bowl and tried to give them to her on my hand. She ate like 2 of them and spat out the 3rd... I'm not sure what to do. With other non-chow dogs I had before, they always gabble down whatever food I give them. I never knew how worrisome it feels to see your pup not eating. Advice please?
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Help! Coda stopped eating...

Post by Pinoy51 »

Chows are very picky eaters, whay different from most other breads.
Put her back on the old food, she will start eating again.
It is very common that Chows are protesting against food change and are selective of what they eat.
When Simba was a puppy I tried a lot of the recommended healthy snacks, he did like any.
Finally I discovered cheese cubes and yoghurt for him, and lately he likes apple slices.
If there ar no other symptoms that point to an illness of Coda just wait for her to start eating again.
But she has to take water regular, and so signs of pain or weakness.
Best regards
Pinoy51
ibell
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Help! Coda stopped eating...

Post by ibell »

Thank you! She did start eating again. We were very relieved when she did and she has grown like 4 lbs since haha.