help! 3months old won't eat, shy and feared

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

prettyglai
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:40 pm

help! 3months old won't eat, shy and feared

Postby prettyglai » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:48 pm

Hi! Got my chowchow yesterday. Until now she is not eating. She just stay in the corner of the cage. She is not walking around too. She looks shy and feared. Please help.
Btw her food is beef pro.

Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 1699
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:48 am
Location: Mansfield, MA USA

Re: help! 3months old won't eat, shy and feared

Postby Rory's Dad » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:09 pm

Not that unusual for a young pup. My now 2 and 1/2 year old male barely came out of his travel crate the 1st day, and then sat in the same spot for another. Once he gained confidence he was fine.

Remember, pups have a very limited view of the world when they are rehomed. At about 2 months old most are transplanted to a strange place with new people, and without their littermates. At 3 months your pup is even more accustomed to being around familiar territory. It's a big transition, but they overcome pretty quickly. Don't change the food, that is probably not the issue. Pup is a BIT stressed and is more worried about the new surroundings and people. If it goes longer than a couple days, then be concerned. Otherwise, just try to interact. Did you get a favorite toy or blanket to take home, that often helps. Something with the old smells to make a connection with. Lie on the floor and just pet the dog to make it comfortable and build a bond. Sometimes the travel crate or and enclosed spot with provide some security.

User avatar
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 860
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:44 pm

Re: help! 3months old won't eat, shy and feared

Postby Ursa's daddy » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:12 pm

Sounds like your girl is overwhelmed by all the changes. You might consider covering the top and back side of the cage so that it feels a bit more secure. It took Ursa a long time to feel safe and secure. Lying on the floor sounds like a good idea. You want to make her secure in her new home and comfortable with the people who live there.

Keep us posted on how it is going.

prettyglai
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:40 pm

Re: help! 3months old won't eat, shy and feared

Postby prettyglai » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:31 am

Thanks! Two of you are correct.

But i added a boiled chicken liver to her food and she started eating since then! And energetic too. :D

Is chicken liver good???

prettyglai
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:40 pm

Re: help! 3months old won't eat, shy and feared

Postby prettyglai » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:35 am

Ursa's daddy wrote:Sounds like your girl is overwhelmed by all the changes. You might consider covering the top and back side of the cage so that it feels a bit more secure. It took Ursa a long time to feel safe and secure. Lying on the floor sounds like a good idea. You want to make her secure in her new home and comfortable with the people who live there.

Keep us posted on how it is going.



Thank you!! She looks happy now.. my bf's husky visited us and we are shocked when my chow became jolly she jump run and play with the husky.

But i never heard her bark. Haha is it normal?

prettyglai
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:40 pm

Re: help! 3months old won't eat, shy and feared

Postby prettyglai » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:37 am

Rory's Dad wrote:Not that unusual for a young pup. My now 2 and 1/2 year old male barely came out of his travel crate the 1st day, and then sat in the same spot for another. Once he gained confidence he was fine.

Remember, pups have a very limited view of the world when they are rehomed. At about 2 months old most are transplanted to a strange place with new people, and without their littermates. At 3 months your pup is even more accustomed to being around familiar territory. It's a big transition, but they overcome pretty quickly. Don't change the food, that is probably not the issue. Pup is a BIT stressed and is more worried about the new surroundings and people. If it goes longer than a couple days, then be concerned. Otherwise, just try to interact. Did you get a favorite toy or blanket to take home, that often helps. Something with the old smells to make a connection with. Lie on the floor and just pet the dog to make it comfortable and build a bond. Sometimes the travel crate or and enclosed spot with provide some security.


Thank u. U r right... im giving her chicken liver with beef pro. Is it okey? Can i give her supplements? Like fish oil?

Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 1699
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:48 am
Location: Mansfield, MA USA

Re: help! 3months old won't eat, shy and feared

Postby Rory's Dad » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:24 pm

My dogs eat a modified raw diet...cottage cheese for breakfast and alternate ground turkey/chicken breast/ground beef for dinner. They always have kibble available as well.

No issues as far as i know i with chicken liver, probably a good add on. As for the supplements, most aren't going to do any harm, but the benefits are argued. With a good quality food, they probably aren't necessary, but again, dont really have a downside as far as i know.

User avatar
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 860
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:44 pm

Re: help! 3months old won't eat, shy and feared

Postby Ursa's daddy » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:16 pm

My chows don't bark that much unless there is something they see. I am fostering a Chow Samoyed mix, and he wants to bark all the time for no particular reason. That is rubbing off on my two chows.

User avatar
DrewBear
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 182
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:54 pm
Location: California

Re: help! 3months old won't eat, shy and feared

Postby DrewBear » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:04 pm

prettyglai wrote:But i never heard her bark. Haha is it normal?
My first Chow didn't bark until he was 4-5 months old. I also remember wondering if that was normal. I didn't need to worry. He would howl when he heard sirens. My current puppy started barking at 2-3 months, but stops when I acknowledge that I've heard his warning. And sirens don't bother him. What sets him off are squirrels. The bark becomes higher pitched and he goes on until the squirrel disappears up a tree, over a fence, etc.
Image
'Bear' 1996 - 2011

User avatar
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 860
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:44 pm

Re: help! 3months old won't eat, shy and feared

Postby Ursa's daddy » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:30 pm

Yes, I know that high pitched bark. Ursa likes to use it for squirrels, but especially if she sees a bird on the ground. She is fascinated by them and will carry on a long conversation telling me all about them.

Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:19 am

Re: help! 3months old won't eat, shy and feared

Postby Constantina » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:34 pm

One thing I love about my Chow is that she hardly barks unless there is some urgency like she is hurt or there is a stranger.


Return to “Nutrition, Diets and Food”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests