Making Chicken jerky

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

kingalls

Making Chicken jerky

Post by kingalls »

We bought an old DE-hydrayter a few months ago to dry home grown hot peppers... :idea: I thought - why not try some chicken breasts? I bought some skinless chicken breasts and sliced it fairly thin. I de-hydrated them overnight - the Chowkids and cats went bonkers over them. Since then I have been making the chicken jerky for my furkids versus buying anything from Costco or otherwise. So many scares about chicken treats made in China. I am trying some beef bits tonight - hopefully it will be successful.
For the peace of mind, I recommend doing your own jerky treats. I have given them to friends and their dogs LOVE them.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Making Chicken jerky

Post by Pinoy51 »

Hi Kingalis,
can you tell me the brand of thedehydrator. Will see if I can find something similar in Manila.
Good treats are rather seldom here and quite expensive, making jerky seems a nice alternative.
Best regards
Pinoy51
kingalls

Re: Making Chicken jerky

Post by kingalls »

Sorry I did not reply back! The brand is NESCO and the cost was around $60 via Amazon.com. It has 5 trays. But I think any decent DE-hydrator would be sufficient. Since making my first batches of chicken jerky, I have also been doing the beef. I use the beef less often than the chicken and I try to find the beef that has minimal amount of fat. I also read somewhere to keep them in the fridge because there are no preservatives. Both cats and dogs love these treats and I feel better that I know how they have been prepared. It takes about half an hour to thinly slice the chicken or beef. I run the de-hydrator overnight (about 7 - 8 hours). I store the treats in a plastic jar in the fridge.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh