When to start feeding twice a day?

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

When to start feeding twice a day?

Post by Constantina »

Chestnut is almost 11 months now but she still eats three times a day. I intend to feed her the same amount in total like the dog food guidelines state but I just want to know when I should start the twice a day meals. At one year old? or Should she already be on the twice a day meal plan? I tried when she was seven months and she scarfed down her evening meal like there was no tomorrow! So I put her back on 3x a day.

When did you guys start the twice a day meal?
DrewBear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: When to start feeding twice a day?

Post by DrewBear »

I don't have an answer to your question, but here are some thoughts on the topic of feeding frequency. I found variations in "guidelines" from various sources. Some say to feed my 4 month old puppy 3 times a day, others say 4 times. My pup seems to prefer the 4 smaller meals, so that's what I'm doing for the time being. Since the total amount of food will also vary depending on how active the pup is and other factors, I plan on being flexible. I've not really heard a compelling reason for reducing the number of meals (3 to 2, 2 to 1) as pups age, have you? I don’t recall planning such a meal reduction with my first Chow; I think he just decided at some point he would eat fewer meals. Bear had no problem skipping a meal and neither does Thor. I’m going to go with the flow and figure at some point he just won’t eat the 4th meal of the day.
'Bear' 1996 - 2011
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

Thanks so much Drewbear. I will keep her on three times a day then. To me the one meal time a day is unthinkable and cruel. Three times seems to suit her just fine. Anyhow I do not give her treats within the day.
JammyJoy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JammyJoy »

We started feeding our dogs twice when they're already 5months above.
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

JammyJoy wrote:We started feeding our dogs twice when they're already 5months above.
Hi jammy! On her eleventh month chestnut started skipping her breakfast so I now moved her lunch to 10 am and her next meal is 6 or 7pm. It's working out great. This will be her schedule for life now. She is also down from 2 cups from 3 as she gained weighed after the spay and has become so lethargic.