Supplement with homemade protein?

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

CocoLeBear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Supplement with homemade protein?

Post by CocoLeBear »

Hi All--

It would nice to be able to supplement Coco's kibble with some homemade protein--ground pork, lamb, bison, venison, turkey, tuna, shrimp, etc. Id like to be able to mix half ground protein (cooked and not raw) and half kibble.

Has anyone done this? Will half complete kibble and half protein be a balanced diet? Is there a way to make this a balanced diet without going 100% homemade? I don't have time to be a dog chef since lord knows I barely cook for myself, but I'd be happy to buy a certain vitamin or complete kibble to make she is getting her daily requirements. Of course I can ask my vet, but was just curious to see if anyone else does this on a supplemental basis.

If anyone does this at home, I'd appreciate your perspective.
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Supplement with homemade protein?

Post by Constantina »

To my husbands utter exasperation... Yes I do that. I wanted to make sure she ate and finished her required dose (around 2.5 to 3 cups a day)of quality kibble (orijen large breed puppy) so I mixed some real meat with it. First bits of white meat chicken or turkey shredded and soaked in 1/16 cup warm water to make broth then mixed in with the dog food. Do not make the mistake of putting in too much meat because they will just pick it out and leave the dog food. Just a tablespoon max of ground pork or lamb mixed in will ensure he finishes dry dog food.
I made her try acana duck and pear she was so in love with it but protein is only 25% instead of the minimum 28% so I added real meat with that to make sure she gets the required daily amount for a growing pup.

If you feed quality dog food you do not need supplements.