Grain Free Kibble?

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

CocoLeBear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Grain Free Kibble?

Post by CocoLeBear »

Hi All--

I recently switched Coco to a grain free formula. She tends to have unidentified itchy skin issues, so I thought I'd try it for a few months and see if it made a difference. I just went to the pet store and read all the ingredients and tried to pick the best/most reasonable one. I got Canidae Grain Free Pure Salmon (Coco is allergic to her and chicken so it can be tough to find a food with NO beef or chicken byproduct s, flavoring, etc).

She has been on it for about a month and seems to like it. Has anyone used this-- if so, what did you think?

Any other good grain free foods?

How often do you change up your dogs protein source? Coco has been on salmon and I wonder if I should change to lamb, duck, etc maybe every season?
BusterBoo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Grain Free Kibble?

Post by BusterBoo »

My current Chow, Shadow, does fine with grain, but Buster (see my avatar) did much better on grain-free. We have never rotated proteins; I wish I could give you more feedback on that. A nutritionist whom I respect recommends it but I don't like to mess with what works (because I hate cleaning up loose poopies).
DrewBear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DrewBear »

I went with Taste of the Wild puppy grain-free kibble with salmon as the main ingredient. He's nearly 15 weeks old and all seems well. For now I plan to stick with the same kibble for his first year. I do mix in a variety of bits (treat crumbs, scrambled eggs, chicken/turkey remnants, etc.) in very small quantities just to give him a sense of variety. I plan to try cottage cheese to see if he likes that. Beef liver (or heart if I can find it) should work for both treat and flavoring. If I don't have any of the above, a bit of peanut butter mixed in usually gets him excited about the meal. I'm betting low-salt chicken broth would do the same.
'Bear' 1996 - 2011
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

We feed Brutus Blue Buffalo Wilderness Grain-Free Dry and have switch the protein many times without having a problem. I'll have to say Brutus doesn't really prefer one protein source over any other one so I usaully just buy the cheapest The first time I mix some of the old with the new. Then I notice all the different proteins with Blue Buffalo looked a like so I quit doing that and Brutus was just fine. If you live in the USA try Chewy.com, they have good prices and deliver it free on orders over $49. I just ordered 2 bags yesterday and that will make my 4th order from them without any issues.

Brutus
chow4life
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chow4life »

Thanks for posting this info 612 guy. I just checked out this web site and they are $10 a bag cheaper for Matildas food, and much cheaper on flea meds for my cat. Will definitely give them a try.
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

Plus no tax but if it was the same price and I didn't have to go store I would still buy it online.

Brutus
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

Chestnut's favorite from the Canidae grain free line is Pure Sky which is duck and turkey. She would gobble it up. She was not crazy about the pure sea and pure land (bison). The pure elements she was just ok with but that has chicken so I limit her exposure.

If you are okay with limited ingredient single grain your baby may want to try acana lamb and apple or duck and pear. Not enough protein for puppies though at just 25%. The acana regionals grain free is great as well. Try Pacifica (fish)and GRASSLANDS (lamb, duck etc)
GeoFil
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by GeoFil »

Had the same food alergy with Kristi.I was feedin her Proplan Puppy Original and the last few months she started to itch her skin way too much.We prepared a home made kibble with beef,carrots,pumpkin and oatmeal just for a few days and the results were amazing.She completely stopped itching.Today I bought Acana's Lamb and Apple single grain which is oatmeal and see how it goes...
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

None of our UK pet food companies seem that keen on grain free so I have to buy US varieties that find their way over here. I am at present moving all mine on to Taste of the Wild salmon and potato. I am astonished when I look at all the US varieties available and how few we can buy. Izzie and Isla have problems with chicken, beef and possibly pork so I stick with fish it seems to suit them all and I am moving Bramble and Alfie over slowly as they finish their old brand as it has gone down hill since being bought out by Purina.

This might help some with comparisons....it is an excellent site that I post here now and then
http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=grain_free
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

Cocoa has been on the Taste of the Wild fish formula for the past two and a half years, she does really well on it. She was just in at the vet for her annual check up and he complimented her on her beautiful shiny coat.
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

I am hoping it will help Brambles coat which is terrible. She is spayed and it has turned to wire wool :(
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

Siriol do you give Bramble any omega 3 supplements? I give Cocoa salmon oil supplements, I stated her on them along with glucosamine/chondroitin for her joints but I think it also has improved her coat and her allergies didn't seem quite as bad last autumn. Cocoa is spayed as well.
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

I do....she gets various oils and joint supplements. She just looks a mess at the moment. I hope the new food helps.
GeoFil
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by GeoFil »

Unfortunately Acana's single grain didn't do anything for her allergy and we are thinking to switch to no grain at all.Any suggestions?Thinking of trying Orijen Six Fish.By the way we made her again homemade kibbles with minced beef,carrots,potato's,yogurt and eggs and for 3 days the itching problem was reduced significaly.
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

I always suggest fish for itching. It seems an easier protein for them to manage than many of the others. I have just switched to Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream which is grain free and am finding it very good. Go with what you like the sound of that you can readily buy in you area.