3 month old chow suddenly stopped eating food

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

rallo
Rank 0
Rank 0

3 month old chow suddenly stopped eating food

Post by rallo »

Hello! We recently brought home our new 3 month old chow. She was eating well during her first night at home. We started noticing that she wasn't eating properly just yesterday. I'm not sure if its an appetite problem, because when we call her out to eat she runs and follows her bowl around. However, once we set it down for her she sniffs it then walks away. I tried putting her food on the floor. She eats a few, and walks away again. She looks okay. Her poop is okay. She's been dewormed, too. Still, I'm worried this might turn into a serious problem. Btw, I'm feeding her Beef Pro, and I'm wondering if this is the best thing to feed my pup. Any responses would help. :(
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: 3 month old chow suddenly stopped eating food

Post by Rory's Dad »

I am not familiar with the brand of food, but my 1st instinct would be to contact the breeder to see what they were feeding her. Chow tummies can be sensitive and a sudden change in kibble formula can cause stomach upset.

The responsible breeder would have sent her off to her new home with a supply of her current food. At least a few days worth. That would allow you to decide if you wish to continue with that brand/formula or change it (gradually) after the initial vet consultation.
rallo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by rallo »

We're feeding her with the same stuff her breeder gave her. We sent her to the vet today and it was found out that she has runny nose. She's been given vitamins and a appetite enhancer. Thank you for your response!
JammyJoy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JammyJoy »

Maybe she was just missing her old home.
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

Most breeders from the Philippines give their pups Beef Pro. I do not like it due to the corn, wheat and soy. You may end up with an obese diabetic chow chow especially if she is intolerant to grains. Watch out for scratching and hairloss at the chin and chest. I feed grain free Orijen and LID Acana but I hear Solid Gold and Canidae are good too. Glad it was just a runny nose. Hope your baby gets better soon.
rallo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by rallo »

Constantina wrote:Most breeders from the Philippines give their pups Beef Pro. I do not like it due to the corn, wheat and soy. You may end up with an obese diabetic chow chow especially if she is intolerant to grains. Watch out for scratching and hairloss at the chin and chest. I feed grain free Orijen and LID Acana but I hear Solid Gold and Canidae are good too. Glad it was just a runny nose. Hope your baby gets better soon.
Oh my! That explains why she's been itching so much. We checked her for fleas but we didn't find anything. I'm going to change her food ASAP. I've been thinking about switching her food to either Orijen or Holistic Recipes. Btw, Rallo's okay now. Her appetite is back and she even gained weight. Thank you so much.
JammyJoy wrote:Maybe she was just missing her old home.
I'm hoping she's not having separation anxiety. But she's adjusted really well to her new home.