Diet for Chow Chow (Philippines)

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

akithelionchow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Diet for Chow Chow (Philippines)

Post by akithelionchow »

Hi everyone.

My Chow has had some dry skin problems. I am from the Philippines, so I am pretty limited to the brands. My mom, who's in the US, is planning to buy him dog food from there.

I want to ask you for recommendations. My Chow's current dog food is Lamb Meal and Rice, along with his vitamins and cod liver oil. He's allergic to chicken.
Lord Aragorn "Aki" of Berserker - 3mos. old (12/28/12)
JammyJoy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Diet for Chow Chow (Philippines)

Post by JammyJoy »

If you're seeking the best chow for your chow chow, there are certain foods thought to be ideal for this breed. Like with all dogs, these intelligent, noble balls of fluff thrive on human companionship and a good diet, and chow parents can help by offering breed-specific goodies...
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

If you will buy from the US, that would cost too much (freight costs). Cassie is on Holistic Recipe - puppy even though she is already almost 2 years old. She does not like to eat much with the adult formulation.
How did you know your chow is allergic to chicken?
You can opt to cook for your chow using beef and pork, mix with rice. Our adobo or sinigang or guinisa can do wonders. Just don't use msg or vetsin, magic sarap, nam-nam and other host of instant flavouring
There are some threads here that details even the recipe
I am also from the Philippines
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

Hi I am also from the Philippines. My Chestnut is 8 months old with major skin allergies from grain and possibly chicken. She does well on Acana Duck and Pear and Lamb and Apple. She hates the taste of Orijen six fish and Acana Pacifica so those are out even if they help her skin. If she is an adult you can give her go! natural duck recipe or salmon. I get them at Pet Express (either Mall of Asia or Makati Branch).

My friends whose chows have sensitive skin do well on Solid Gold Wolf cub/King (bison) and Hundchen Flocken (lamb). My vet also told me to give her fish oil and vitamin e orally twice daily.
happy new chow owner
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by happy new chow owner »

hi i am from philippines also and in bicol a new owner of 2 chow chow they are 2 months and 19 days..from their breeder he give them holistic for puppies we bought them last dec 20 2013 and go back to bicol with hoillistic for afew days from the breeder but since holistic is not available here in Naga i gradually change them to eucanuba for ppuppies the small ball like shape ...any other advise to what can i give them is highly appreciated...thanks