Wanting to feed raw, but little helpless

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

K.J
Rank 0
Rank 0

Wanting to feed raw, but little helpless

Post by K.J »

Hi,
I have a 4 and a half month old chow girl, called Manon. I really want to feed her raw food and i started about 8 days ago by giving her chicken leg. She eats it fine and likes it but the thing is that she still has runny stool. I know that when changing food, it might cause runny stools, but should it last that long? there have been couple of nights when she needs to go outside every 2 hours to do number 2, during the day she doesnt need to go as often. I have given her chickenleg for breakfast, half a chicken leg and some rice for lunch and just rice for dinner, now for few days. I would really appriciate if anyone feeding raw could give me some advice and correct me if im doing something wrong, as im getting a little worried :(

Thank you in advance.
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Wanting to feed raw, but little helpless

Post by Merlin »

Hello KJ

Feeding raw means feeding a multitude of meat and not just chicken. In fact, if you live in the USA, chicken is one of the most inflammatory meats you can possibly give to a dog ( or a person), and is best left on the shelf more often than not..

I'm not saying it's the case in your case, but people often gravitate to chicken because it's cheap.
and adding rice does not constitute a raw diet. When you give your dog rice, you flood your dog's stomach with fast burning carbs ( sugar).

What you need to do is offer a variety of meat every day.
Today chicken, tomorrow beef, next day fish, next day or next meal pork.
A raw fed dog processes their food in 4 hours or less, so if you feed your dog at 6 o 7 pl at night, it's perfectly normal that the dog will have to "go" late at night.

You know, if your dog went out and caught a rabbit, it would have a bunch of meat, only two kidneys, only one liver, and only one heart.
If your dog went out the next day and caught a huge buffalo, it will STILL only have the same ratio,... a bunch of meat, only two kidneys, only one liver and only one heart, so don't just give your dog meat, make sure you toss in a couple of organs. A MUST for any raw feeder is linolic <sp> acid ( EFA's - Essential Fatty Acids), and this you get from fatty, fatty fish, or over the counter as fatty fish oil. You MUST make sure your dog has a daily dose of EFA's. So toss in a sardine with each meal.

By comparison, a kibble fed dog processes kibble in 8 hours. Raw food is very very digestible to dogs, so it is processed much quicker.

Do you eat the same food each and every day week after week? So why do we make the assumption that our dogs are ok with doing that? The more variety you add to their diet, the more balanced their digestive system becomes and the more likely you are to offer them a broad scope of nutrition. ( This by the way holds true for people who feed commercial dry food - yes.... alternate and change your kibble regularly.)

If you are new at feeding your dog a raw regime, please join a raw support group so that you are in touch with people who raw feed all the time.
You can obtain valuable information , tips and pointers in doing so. Go to rawlearning.com and use any of their links to support groups.
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
eveelima
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by eveelima »

Hi, it's nice trying to feed your dog raw. I have this practical guide to feed your dog raw food and make sure it's a balanced healthy diet! I'm sorry it's in portuguese, but I'll translate the info for you.
http://www.cachorroverde.com.br/an_guia_caes.pdf

FOR PUPPY according to its age:
from 2 to 4 months: 8% of its current weight
from 4 to 8 months: 6% of its current weight
from 8 to 12 months: 4% of its current weight

FOR ADULTS:
You'll give your dog 2,5% to 3,5% of your dog's ideal weight when adult. (but remember each dog is different so you can raise or lower the percentage if your dog is too skinny or too fat)
on the graphy:
50% meaty bones
15% boneless meat
10% organs (like kidney, brains, liver. hearts are in the meat category because they're organs with muscles)
25% vegetables
(remember, this is the daily amount of food for your dog. puppies have to eat 3 or 4 times a day, adults eat twice a day, so divide the total amount by the number of meals)

beside the graph you can see some extra supplement that'll give your dog more nutrients, add those to the main meal (divide that in 2 meals a day):
- vegetable oil (1 dessert spoon)
- natural yogurt (1 dessert spoon)
- barm dust (1 tea spoon)
- chopped garlic (1/4 of a clove)

INTRODUCING RAW FOOD:
1st day: 90% dry food + 10% chicken neck
2nd day: 80% dry food + 20% chicken neck
3rd day: 70% dry food + 30% chicken neck
4th day: 60% dry food + 40% chicken neck
5th day: 50% dry food + 40% chicken neck + 10% boneless meat
6th day: 30% dry food + 50% chicken neck + 10% boneless meat + 10% vegetables
7th day: 10% dry food + 50% chicken neck + 20% boneless meat + 20% vegetables
8th day: 50% chicken neck + 15% boneless meat + 25% vegetables + 10% organs
After day 10, introduce a new supplement a day.
After you've introduced all suplements, you can start to vary the meal, offering different species of meat.

Ingredients:
Meaty bones: chicken neck, wings or dorse, turkey neck or wing, whole quail, whole rabbit, duck - no fat.
Meat: any piece of cow meat, pork, lamb, goat, without the bones, chicken chest without the bones, turkey chest, fish, cow heart, gizzard, eggs.
Organs: chicken or cow liver, cow kidney.
Raw vegetables (liquified): pumpkin, courgette, beet,
carrot, pepper, okra, cabbage, broccoli.
Cooked vegetables: potato, yam, carrot, beet.

Remember that bones have to be always raw, so they won't hurt the dog.
Remeber that raw meat is only safe when kept frozen for at least 72hrs, in order to kill harmful bacterias or any parasite.

Hope this helped you and other people interested in feeding raw.
JammyJoy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JammyJoy »

Feeding raw means feeding a multitude of meat and not just chicken. In fact, if you live in the USA, chicken is one of the most inflammatory meats you can possibly give to a dog ( or a person), and is best left on the shelf more often than not..
Absolutely,why don't you try other meats than chicken? And,observed the changes on Manon.