Healthy Treats

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Healthy Treats

Post by Me & Tess »

What are the types of treats do you give your Chowdren? Need some healthy ideas.
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Healthy Treats

Post by Constantina »

Tuna in water chunks. Sliced up CESAR pate. Soft meat bones with some beef or lamb. Cheese cubes. I refuse to give her dog biscuits preservative laden and wheat flour based empty calorie treats. My friends give sliced apples and pears. NO grapes, raisins, nuts and chocolate which are toxic
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by maikinda »

I like to give chicken or liver. They also get cottage cheese and yogurt. The only biscuits I buy are Old Mother Hubbard Classic Chick'N'Apples Biscuits Mini Baked Dog Treats.

Laura
Attachments
Micah tag.jpg
Micah tag.jpg (12.41 KiB) Viewed 8263 times
missjulie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by missjulie »

During the summer, I like to mix milk, water, and bits of pork in an ice tray. Makes for a great treat. Sometimes I make it in a larger plastic container and give her the whole chunk and it keeps her busy while I want her outside in the sun drying off after a bath.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

With the many issues of giving any treats made in China, I started dehydrating chicken or beef for my two Chowdren. I buy skinless chicken breasts from a local market and slice it into very thin pieces. I purchased a nice dehydrator and a decent knife (to cut the meat). It takes me about 1/2 hour to cut the meat. Then I spread out the pieces on the trays and dehydrate them overnight. I do the same with beef - I usually get chuck roast and slice it. I can give them to my cats, too.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
DrewBear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DrewBear »

kingalls wrote:With the many issues of giving any treats made in China, I started dehydrating chicken or beef for my two Chowdren.
Another vote for DIY treats. My pup prefers something chunky that he can get a good crunch on. So I cut rough cubes and bake them in an oven at 250º for ~1 hr., then finish them off in a DIY solar oven until they are nice and hard. I do beef & chicken. I tried liver once, but calculated that the freeze-dried stuff (4 lbs. raw to make 1 lb. dried) was actually cheaper just to buy. Since that's made in the U.S., I figure it's safe enough.
'Bear' 1996 - 2011
JammyJoy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JammyJoy »

You can purchase dog food at all pet stores, but making homemade dog food is much better.