Treats?

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Treats?

Post by Me & Tess »

What are the types of treats do you give your Chowdren? Need some healthy ideas.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Treats?

Post by Rory's Dad »

I know it varies a ton by location, but for basic training we use Train-Me treats. We get them at Petco. They are pea sized nuggets available in three flavors and had no corn, soy, bha, bht, etc. Looking at the label on the Beef flavor, the first bunch of ingredients are Pork Liver, Barley Flour and Whole Ground Potato.

For increased needs, we use American Cheese or String Cheese. These seem to be better for gaining their attention when outdoors.

And finally, when we have a need to get their attention at Shows, we use liver bait. We have convinced them it's the ultimate reward....my aren't we clever...liver.
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

Strangely enough we have never used treats for any form of training. That said, on occasion a bit of liver, chicken, beef, is nice when ones is behaving above and beyond.
gebower
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gebower »

I know some will disagree on this but, I give my Chows Milkbones. And, their teeth are as white a white can be. No tartar. There are a LOT of treats out there that my Chows don't like. Believe me, tried them all. But, they've always liked Milkbones and Dentastix. Also, pig ears now and then. At the vets, they try to give them a biscuit but, they always turn their noses up to what they offer. Why? Spoiled. If they carried Milkbones, my Chows would take it.
Gene.
Gene
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

I found that Lilly loves rice and a tablespoon or two is a special little treat. (Tess loved rice too.) Her previous owner gave her a unconventional diet - people food it seems & at the table. They also gave her yogurt and I give her a tablespoon a day.