what supplement do chows need?

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

cge2809
Rank 0
Rank 0

what supplement do chows need?

Post by cge2809 »

1 year healthy chow.
now she only takes vitaminE. 200Iu.

anything else to recommend?

what about Glucosamin? since chows have hip problem?
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: what supplement do chows need?

Post by Me & Tess »

I give Lilly Hip & Joint Level 1 Lamb & Rice Wafers for Small and Medium Dogs, only one per day after her meal. I found them at our hardware store, & did ask Petco if they stocked it - which they don't, at least up here. I want to keep Lilly's hip & joints healthy. My Tessie developed problems when she got to be an old girl. This is the web site for the product.
http://www.nutri-vet.com/products/Hip-% ... -Dogs.html
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by maikinda »

Have you checked with your vet about giving Vitamin E every day? I give Vitamin C, CoQ10, glucosamine, and Cranberry. Sometimes you can get into trouble with supplements so I'm very careful.

Laura
Picture1.jpg
Picture1.jpg (24.03 KiB) Viewed 6672 times
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

a 1 year old healthy chow, if eating quality food doesn't need any supplements whatsoever, :)
FYI it has been scientifically proven that glucosamine is only effective if combined with chrondroitin. On it's own it has no measurable effect.
Glucosamine is also "glucose" - SUGAR - and that comes with it own set of side effects.

Please don't give your dog stuff it doesn't need. If your dog isn't sick, arthritic or if it doesn't have hip issues why are you trying to treat it?
Just make sure to feed it quality food and give it plenty of exercise and clean water.
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Plain and simple, i agree. Supplements should only be needed if there is a deficiency or other medical need. Good, quality food should supply everything a normal dog needs to maintain digestive, coat and joint health.

If you are not trying to cure a specific issue, whatever supplement you are using will be wasted or worse cause additional problems.
cge2809
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cge2809 »

thanks guys!
now I rethink about giving her supplement.
my chow eats Acana Pacific which is pretty good
quality food i think..

how about some minerals and calcium?
things like kelp powder or bone meal powder?
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by maikinda »

I completely agree with Merlin and Rory that a young healthy dog eating a "quality food" should not need supplements. The supplements I give were suggested by my vets (regular and holistic) I agree with their suggestions because there is no oversight in the Pet food industry. I buy what I consider the best, but I can only take the companys word for what is actually in the food. I always check with my vets before giving my dogs any supplements or medications, as I suggested in my other post.

I should have said glucosamine/chondroitin as Merlin pointed out (thanks). I just assumed everyone used the combination, my bad. :(

Everyone has different ideas on what is best. I've had chows for almost 30 years and I have found the best thing is to listen, then do your research, then talk to your vet.

Laura
Attachments
mail.jpg
mail.jpg (11.68 KiB) Viewed 6587 times