Feeding and pooping schedule

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

akithelionchow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Feeding and pooping schedule

Post by akithelionchow »

Hello everyone.

My name's Justin and my girlfriend and I have our first baby. A Chow Chow by the name of Lord Aragorn, or Aki. He's 3 months old and I noticed that he has this tendency to not finish his food sometimes. We feed him 3x a day, as instructed by our vet, 6am - 12PM- 6PM is our feeding schedule, with one cup of puppy chow mixed with milk.

We wanted to establish a pooping schedule because we want to time it when we walk our chow. The question here is that is it possible to do such thing? I mean, he poops like 2 to 3 hours after every meal and sometimes beyond that. On average, he poops twice a day; one between the morning and afternoon and one between evening and midnight when we are asleep.

Can anyone provide some insights or tips? It would be really appreciated.
Lord Aragorn "Aki" of Berserker - 3mos. old (12/28/12)
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Feeding and pooping schedule

Post by Cam Atis »

It is possible to train your chow. But at 3 months old, still a baby and well you must be patient as he cant control much of it. Establish a routine. There are a lot of articles here regarding your issue.
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Feeding and pooping schedule

Post by Merlin »

We wanted to establish a pooping schedule because we want to time it when we walk our chow.

Dogs eat... 4 hours later.. they poop. It's nature.
People often place very unrealistic expectations on their dogs.

Let me ask you something. Do you do that with yourselves? Train yourself to poop at specific times? So why are you trying to do with with your dog?
Can you go to work all day and hold it all day long until you get home? Yet we expect our dogs to be able to do that.

And at 3 months old, this is a little tiny baby with a bladder the size of a quarter. It's going to pee and poop several times daily AND night until it's an adult. ( no different from a human baby)
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!