working out a energy requirement for a dog

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Hayley92
Rank 0
Rank 0

working out a energy requirement for a dog

Post by Hayley92 »

Hi guys,
Just thought I might put on her a formula we use for feeding dogs, this is a resting energy requirement and will not be apropriate if your dog does alot of work.

bodyweight (kg) x 30 + 70 =
This will give you the kcals needed, to work out how much food your dog needs divide by calories (kcals) per tin or per 100g.
This will give you the daily requirement, you can divide this by how many meals you usually feed your dog. You can also times the kcals per day by an illness factor. we use 1.2 for cage rest and 2 for puppies
for example
20kg dog, fed on i/d tins (368 calories per can) fed 3 times a day.

20kg x 30 + 70 = 670kcals per day (this is the figure you can times by an illness factor, for example dog on cage rest. 670 x 1.2 = 804kcals per day)
then to work out how much to feed her day
670 divided by 368 = 1.8 tins per day.
you would then divide this figure by how many meals the dog eats
1.8 divided by 3 = 0.6 = 6th of a tin per meal.
you can of course round to the nearest whole number so say 1.8 as two tins.

If you usually feed mix, work the amount per day for both then half them.
giseleassink
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: working out a energy requirement for a dog

Post by giseleassink »

One thing for sure... do not feed your dog with wet food.... it is really bad for their teeth... But maybe you should not just take it away at once as you did.. try gradually take away I’m pretty much sure he/she will get used to it…
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

If you are using commercial foods, your formulation is really not really a sound one for the typical, regular dog owner.

It says right on the bag how many cups of food this specific food offers for ideal weight of dog under normal circumstances... and again dealing with commercial foods, if you have a high performance dog, then you need to switch to a high performance food that offers more calories. - and the amount of cups per ideal weight varies from brand to brand of dog food, so people should read the instructions on the bag to see how much they should be feeding their dogs. At least that is something that most people can understand. :)

As for the "rotting out of teeth"... a lot of commercial foods, both wet and dry contain sugar to make the food palatable.
If you choose a food without unwanted sugars then the teeth won't rot out.
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
JammyJoy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JammyJoy »

Assessment of energy requirement in dogs is confounded by their wide range of body weights.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

This formula for working out the energy requirements beats me. Maybe it could be as a guide but...
If I say what I think? no way I'll make use of the formula above. Maybe for the chickens and pigs and tilapia fish I can follow such similar computation, coz I need to know the energy requirement and energy conversion, even to the grams of meat gained from a kilo of feeds. But with my dogs? No.