WHAT TO FEED TO A 6 WEEK OLD CHOW

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

kmacarayo
Rank 0
Rank 0

WHAT TO FEED TO A 6 WEEK OLD CHOW

Post by kmacarayo »

I bought a chowchow yesterday. To my excitement, I didn't care to ask the date of birth of the puppy. Then earlier, I called the breeder, and the breeder said the puppy will turn 2 months on the 24th of January. So technically, Chantal, my chow pup, is currently on her 6th week now.

Please help me decide on what food and milk should be given to my too young puppy.
Thanks! =)

*Good thing she already had her 1st shot of 5in1, and was also dewormed once before I got her.
oceans
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: WHAT TO FEED TO A 6 WEEK OLD CHOW

Post by oceans »

Technically your pup should still be with her mom till at least eight weeks, at minimum. This was really a young age to be separated. Were their circumstances? I'm sure some other members will comment on the food, but i'm assuming high grade puppy food. Not sure about the milk.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Despite the fact that the breeder released your pup earlier than should have been done, i will assume that it was at least weaned. In that case, do not revert to milk. Find a high quality food and moisten it with a bit of water. A 6 week old pups teeth are still fairly brittle, so you dont want hard kibble breaking them off. The proteins in a puppy chow are still needed though. If you want to add dairy, try yogurt or cottage cheese. This will give enough dairy benefit to keep the fur shiny and healthy and to enocurage bone growth/strength. My pup outgrew the taste of yogurt, and has no interest in it, but still loves the cottage cheese even at 16 months.
kmacarayo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kmacarayo »

I did some researches, and found out there are milk replacements in the market. I immediately went to the nearest pet store. I was supposed to buy a can of milk replacement, but it costs more than what I expected. I read the label, and found the ingredients. I knew that milk replacements are lactose free. So what I did was, I bought a pack of milk which is lactose-free (made for human consumption). Currently, I am feeding her Pedigree chicken chunks in sauce, and the milk I bought (cowhead). I already asked our vet if that would be okay, and he said that it's fine. However, he told me that Eukanuba or Vitality would be a better choice than feeding him Pedigree.

I'll go find some cottage cheese for Chantal tomorrow. I really worry abt her. I actually asked the breeder why they had to release her at a very young age. He just told me that they really do it - releasing their puppies on their 1st month. It made me feel bad when he said, "dog food costs too much, so we have to release them on their 1st month". =(