My dog food ok?

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

crs09s
Rank 0
Rank 0

My dog food ok?

Post by crs09s »

About a year ago I decided to change my dogs food from Pedigree to Pruina Pro Plan. One day I looked at the ingredients and noticed a filler and by-products as the first ingredients. So I switched to a food with real meat as the first ingredient. My Chow, Alley, was on Pedigree for 7 years and I followed the steps to slowly change her food. She is on the new food and loves it. She is going to the bathroom easier and in all around better health, I feel. I was just wondering if I made the right choice? She is on Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach. http://www.proplan.com/dry-dog-food/sen ... fault.aspx But lately I have been noticing her itching a lot more lately and eating at her skin. She will be going to the vet next week for an examination. I hope it isn't a food allergy. But that aside, did I make the right choice? Thanks.
Attachments
This is my beautiful Chow Alley. She is 8 years old but has the mindset of a 4 year old!
This is my beautiful Chow Alley. She is 8 years old but has the mindset of a 4 year old!
321713_10150588810409251_1961002429_o.jpg (187.01 KiB) Viewed 4004 times
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: My dog food ok?

Post by PCC »

It's good that Salmon is the first ingredient, but it's bad that the next meat is fifth on the list. Once the water is removed from the salmon, the second and third ingredients become more important, and in this case the second ingredient is brewers rice, and the third canola meal. I'd consider those filler/by-products.
crs09s
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by crs09s »

Could you recommend a better food that is in the same price range as the one I am already buying?
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PCC »

I don't know where you live, so I don't know what is available in your area. But here's a good place to find reviews and ingredient lists for most dog foods: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/
crs09s
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by crs09s »

It's ok about location. I buy my dog food off of Amazon.