fine corn as food for chow

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

dashchow
Rank 0
Rank 0

fine corn as food for chow

Post by dashchow »

Hi there. I have read from some chow owners that fine corn is not recommended food for chow. is it true? I have an 11 month and a 4 month old chow. I have been feeding them cooked fine corn mixed dog food (strike).
LeoMax
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: fine corn as food for chow

Post by LeoMax »

Thanks for shearing...
Buy Online Dog Accessories & Get Discount...
LeoMax
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by LeoMax »

Thanks for Sharing... This information...
Buy Online Dog Accessories & Get Discount...
gluesticks
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by gluesticks »

It by no means will harm your chow, but corn as a food carries little important nutritional value (it is never completely broken down through the digestive system anyway, and you may notice larger pieces in the stool) and is used in many bagged dog foods as a filler. As long as their other nutritional requirements are met, then feeding corn is okay when mixed into a dog food (heck, I love corn. corn tastes awesome.)

However, you state that you are feeding a dog food made primarily of corn? What dog food is this? and what are the first 5 ingredients listed on the bag?
I would have to say no to whatever dog you food you are feeding if it is made mostly of corn.
dashchow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dashchow »

for gluesticks. . . I'm mixing fine corn with high protein dog food ( "strike" is the brand name) but not fine corn alone. . .
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

orn is one of the main causes of hot spots and skin problems in chows so most of us here avoide all foods that contain it. It has no food value anyway. If you want a filler it is far better to use brown rice.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
dashchow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dashchow »

thx for the advise. I've stop feeding fine corn to my chow and switch to white steamed rice mixed with squash and carrots on a daily interval. I sometimes mixed chicken liver to the white rice. chows like it.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Corn and Rice are both grains, just like wheat in the west. Corn can be eaten (even by humans) in the absence of rice. Now, dogs are canine and they need more protein than we do. I suggest you stop feeding your chow too much corn and give more protein rich food. Yes it is a filler but doesnt provide the much needed protein diet of a canine (carnivore) Chows' skin can be sensitive to too much corn. Rice is given in lieu of corn and wheat because it is deemed hypo allergenic.