chow pup not eating that much

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Tan160581
Rank 0
Rank 0

chow pup not eating that much

Post by Tan160581 »

Hi everyone

just wondering if you can give me advice again ( i know sorry) but breeder told me 4 cups of wet biscuit a day, but when i give it to her, she just licks the warm water and eats a few of the biscuits but never eats the whole lot, i have tried her with other food to see if she would prefer, like wet food, she sniffed and nothing and i tried with chicken and she sniffed and chewed it and then spat out, she will occasoinaly when i feed the cats nick one of there dry biscuits but i tell her no as i read dry biscuit can swell in a chows tummy causing probs, Just that i have never known a animal not that bothered about food before as my cats and other dog are very greedy - i am feeding royal canine puppy what the breeder was feeding her on

also i read chows should really eat rice and eggs and stuff like that and only have a table spoon of meat a day, what do you feed your chow when they were a puppy and when they become a adult please
NanouetJon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: chow pup not eating that much

Post by NanouetJon »

What food is best.. That is a whole discussion, check the forums.

If your breeder used Royal Canine then keep using it. The amount a puppy should eat is on the bag.
When ( and you will ) decide to change, you start mixing them so the new puppy gets used to be taste and then ween out the Royal Canine.

Worried he is not eating enough, do not try other foods. We worry so much but introducing new food is troublesome. If they get sick or have an allergy, you have a HUGE list of things they ate that you have to bring to the vet and it will be impossible to determine what it was. Puppy need his food (and maybe a treat). Thats it.

You best indication of health is going to be the poo. Look at each one, Small or large, firm or loose, color. If they are getting smaller and or stopping, be concerned. If they got white and loose then be headed to the vet.

Do you free feed or set times. We found as a puppy that set times was best and then switched to free feeding.

Royal Canine gave Maddoxx gas that could clear a room, so we switched pretty rapidly.

When choosing a new puppy food: Puppy Large breed. They usually have all the good things your chow puppy needs. Grain or no-grain.. Another huge discussion you can find on this board.
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

You try to feed her 4 cups at once?...your supoosed to feed them 3 times a day morning afternoon and nite time...Thats what we did...Our Male chow used to eat at least 6 cups a day...He is a BIG boy tho...our female she was always a picky eater she mite eat 3-3.5 a day now when young feed them little amounts more offen..Now that there older we feed them once a day at nite when we get home from work..But dont go by us we feed them a vast amount of good stuff...lol..cooked chicken,liver,ham,turkey,they do get kibble...not much tho, fruits and vegs..love sweet potatoes,tomatoes,carrots,rice,yogurt,cottage cheese,we feed them calf heart,lung,,,they eat very well...lol...So my advice is trying giving her small amounts a few times a day...
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
Tan160581
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tan160581 »

Hi

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear lol I feed her 3 cups of royal canin but split it into 3 portions breakfast lunch and dinner but she never really eats it laps the biscuit gravy and s few pics and leaves rest
I have tempted her with chicken and she chew then spit out she doesn't seem that interested in food x
Also do you wet the biscuits or do u let them eat it dry x
NanouetJon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by NanouetJon »

For puppies I wet my food so it was moist and easier to chew and digest. I did not make a gravy or have enough liquid for there to be a gravy. It was just wet food.

When they are eating normally and you add things, to entice or treat. You create a problem. Maddoxx had a rough day at the vets and behavioral issues one day, I felt guilty so I added some cheese to his meals. He ate it up glad fully. Second day he refused to eat. So I added some cheese. He ate it up. Third day, samething. In 3 days he had me trained. I was cheese delivery system.

I stopped giving cheese, he refused to eat, lasted 30 hours. he realized I was on to him and started eating again. Its like babies. The day you give them apple sauce, good luck serving peas!
Tan160581
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tan160581 »

i did the wet like the breeder did but would not entertain it, its not a gravy its just warm water and the biscuits make it look like a gravy when they start to musy up, but all he does is lick the liquid and eat one or two biscuits, i just tried to tempt him with chicken and still he not that fussed, yet in behavoir he acts fine not acting like his ill or anything
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

I put water on the food and stir the kibble(biscuits) to make gravy. I have found food that is not wet can cause choking sometimes. Only change too different food by blending in new food over a period of five to seven days; some say three days. I would talk to Lola's Vet(Doctor) about her not being very interested in eating and the other things you have told us in your Post.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

You haven't said how old the puppy is. Also if she/he is stealing cat food that will satisfy him/her very quickly as cat food has more protein in it. But it is NOT good for a dog to eat cat food, as that high protein amount can cause health issues. First if your puppy is over 8 weeks of age don't wet the food. She/he has teeth and needs to exercise those young jaws, (and it will help with teething which will begin in a month or two) give him/her about 3/4 of a cup of food for each meal, and have a bowl of water available at all times. if she/he devours the food in less than ten minutes increase to 1 cup per meal. This will encourage better eating habits and also save you food that has to be thrown away, because once it is wet it will go bad and you don't want the puppy to eat it.

the part about dry food swelling in a dog's stomach can be true if you are feeding a food that swells when mixed with liquid, you should test the food to see if it does this and any food that does this should not be fed, (usually these foods are full of corn, wheat and they shouldn't be fed to a chow anyway) a good high quality dry puppy food will not swell with addition of liquid and therefore will not swell and possibly cause bloat in a dog's stomach.

That thing about feed chows rice/eggs vegies and no meat is an old formula used for chows that were raised to provide meat for humans. It is a diet proported to make the meat more tender and therefore more palitable to humans who eat it. We don't like to remember that chows were also raised to provide meat and fur for humans, but they were.

When my guy was a little puppy he ate about 2-1/4 cups of Solid Gold Wolf Cub and Solid Gold Millenium per day spread over three meals, at about five or six months he went to about three cups a day in two meals and he eats just over 3 cups of food a day now, he free feeds so he gets fed at night and eats during the night and day until it is all gone. Firesong his older sister eats about the same amount in the same way. I don't moisten theire food or add anything to it, and they are both healthy active chows. Water is of course available to them at all times.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
eveelima
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by eveelima »

Have you taken the puppy to the vet? If it refuses to eat anything, even food that is considered tasty, it might be sick, you have to check that with a vet.
JammyJoy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JammyJoy »

i tried with chicken
I'm no expert but I noticed feeding dogs with chicken,they get itchy and rushes!! So,please avoid such.