Deer antler

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Deer antler

Post by Rio »

I know a lot of you give bones to your Chowdren but I chose to give Rio deer antler instead, they seem to be more durable than regular bones and don't splinter as easily, just wondered if anyone else had given these instead. ( yes I know they are technically a bone )
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Deer antler

Post by Cocoa »

I don't give Cocoa regular bones either and she loves the deer antlers. You're right Rio, they don't splinter like some bones do.
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Rio will need a new one soon as he has gnawed the edge of the one he has, it has done him for over a month so I guess it was good value (only cost £5) have spent more on toys that he turns his nose up at!!!!!
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

wont be of any help here. no deer antlers here. :-)
Cassie got bones and all the calcium it gives to her. She is one happy chow now always active.
Give her regards to Rio. "Woof! woof! from her. :D
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Deer antler contains calcium too Cam!!!! They are technically a bone, they just don't splinter like skeletal bones.
Andria
Rank 0
Rank 0

Deer antler

Post by Andria »

Antlers are a huge success in our household. Although they are more pricey than regular bones, They seem to last 100 times longer. Our trainer has given us a tip that has helped quite a bit: If they begin to show signs of losing interest in the antler, soak it In chicken broth and it will immediately become their favorite again.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Silly me, but yes it does. Havent seen such item being sold here. :D
d0glover
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by d0glover »

Lilly loves her antlers! I actually get them from http://www.bestelkantlers.com. Not only are they super affordable but they're also super nutritious and dogs, especially Chows, love them. My Lilly is an aggressive chewer but it takes her a long time to chew her way through one of these antlers. The marrow is in the middle and filled with lots of healthy nutrients. They come in a lot of sizes so you don't have to worry about choking. Let me know what you think! I highly recommend them.
gluesticks
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by gluesticks »

My dogs love antlers (my 6 year old and my 9 week old). They are much safer than femur bones (I still use those too), and certainly a contrast to rawhide. We recommend them to all of our customers. I love the "soaking in chicken broth" idea if their ever bored of it. These antlers last forever! There are elk, deer, and moose antlers.