dry food & canned food, what else?

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

cge2809
Rank 0
Rank 0

dry food & canned food, what else?

Post by cge2809 »

my 6month puppy eats about 4cups
of Purina Pro Plan.Chicken&Rice.
and a spoon of beef canned food each time.

I know many of chow owners feed all different
kinds of food to them.

what's good beside the dry food? anything I can add
on her meal? (i don't wanna feed raw meat though..)
something to make her healthy!!
I only feed those teo main food and I give her
some fruits and vegetables as treats!

I heard cheese or egg is good, how should
I cook? what types of cheese? how to choose the right cheese for her?
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: dry food & canned food, what else?

Post by Rio »

I can tell you what I feed RIo, he has 370gms (spread over 2 or 3 meals) of Burns dry food mixed with salmon oil, has occasional chicken breasts,he has about a cup and a half of rice every day. He loves cheese but we do limit this to a treat every 3 or 4 days. I have yet to find a cheese he doesn't like. I have not given him cottage cheese but I know a lot of people feed their Chowdren this on a regular basis. I do however stick to hard cheese I have not tried soft cheese as a lot of them are not pasteurised.
He also has peeled and cored apples throughout the week, and he also gets peeled carrots to chomp on, again these are treats and not fed on a daily basis.
As regards the egg I have not fed it directly though he did have it in a Burns wet food when he was a baby, it did not seem to agree with him though so I haven't fed it, but I think hard boiled or scrambled would be the way to go, maybe use it as a topping on dry food to add some variety. To introduce cheese try grating small amounts on food that you know she will eat.
There are quite a variety of veg you can feed some need cooking before, others can be given raw, I am sure I have seen a post on here about safe fruit and veg.
Good luck, oh and don't try and introduce too much in one go.
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PCC »

JMHO, I would change to a different dry food. The Purina Pro Plan puppy formula has meat as its first ingredient, but then there are a lot of low quality ingredients listed afterwards ( brewers rice, poultry by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole grain wheat, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), whole grain corn, corn germ meal, brewers dried yeast).

Compare that to Orijen's puppy formula beginning ingredient list: Fresh deboned chicken, chicken meal, turkey meal, russet potato, fresh deboned salmon (a natural source of DHA and EPA), herring meal, sweet potato, peas, fresh deboned lake whitefish, salmon meal, fresh deboned walleye, chicken liver, fresh deboned turkey, chicken fat (naturally preserved with vitamin E and citric acid), fresh whole eggs, fresh deboned herring.

A higher quality food costs more, but you would likely find that your Chow will eat less of it each meal.
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

I do agree with the changing of dry food, but I stick with dry foods that have fewer ingredients than Orijens. I am sure it is an excellent product and many people use it but it still has rather a lot of mixed meats and fish in there, would be a nightmare to work out any intolerences if one arose.
This is his current food: Lamb Meal (Min 32%), Brown Rice, White Rice, Sunflower Oil, Oats, Peas, Beet Pulp, Seaweed, Minerals & Vitamins
and this will be the one he goes to in the next month:Brown Rice (Min 65%), Duck Meal (Min 20%), Oats, Peas, Duck Fat, Sunflower Oil, Seaweed, Minerals & Vitamins
Protein on the first one is 24% and the second is 18%.
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PCC »

Rio wrote:I do agree with the changing of dry food, but I stick with dry foods that have fewer ingredients than Orijens. I am sure it is an excellent product and many people use it but it still has rather a lot of mixed meats and fish in there, would be a nightmare to work out any intolerences if one arose.
Actually, I agree with you. I merely pulled up Orijen's ingredients list because the brand came to mind. While I do feed my boy a wide variety of meats and fish, I feed them on a rotational basis. But each dry food he gets normally has a very short list of ingredients, and with only a single animal protein source.
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Sorry PCC, hope you didn't think I was being pompous, wasn't my intention.
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

I have read that dairy products, mainly milk, ice cream and cottage cheese should be avoided to reduce the chance of intestinal distress. I would give cheese mixed with the dry food to avoid build up on the teeth; dry food having a cleaning effect.